DMCA takedown

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
SaveGame

Re: DMCA takedown

Post by SaveGame »

You don't understand the fundamental concepts of stealing content.

If you take a movie and change a few words in the dialogue, and then release it as "really non-plagiarised 100% original movie", I think you know very well what happens.
The story, the acting, the camera movement – all is the same; however, the end result is "not equal", as the dialogue was "rewritten".

That's why it's easy to prove content was stolen. Really easy. No real effort required.

P.S.
Now, if you were only stealing text layout (e.g. NPC name is different, all words (aside from stuff like 'is', 'a', 'the', etc.) in the text are different and the story within is completely unrelated, but the text is roughly the same length and contains the same amount of paragraphs… That would be much tougher, even though some corporations still would charge you, if you had something to lose.
Nik
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Nik »

Aikimaniac wrote:Not sure if contacting NCZ0ft regarding if they started anything against us is helpful..
I think knowing what you are dealing with is the most helpful thing. A statement that represents a given entity, which in reality have no knowledge and agreement of the said statement should be more than enough to discard it.
If you like to go with full top gear killing an elpy, while all the time fearing you might lose, or going solo to kill Antharas because your big balloons say you can, be my guest, then its really not helpful knowing what you are dealing with, since you like the challenge, right?
The reality is that you shouldn't underestimate the situation since the threat is more towards L2J users than you, and you should do everything possible to preserve the integrity of l2j as a whole.

Sacrifice wrote:
SaveGame wrote:
Sacrifice wrote:We can do whatever we want with HTMLS... till I know... HTML langage is free... otherwise is that HTMLs was obtained from... illegal methods... but that method is very very difficult and nobody want to stain his hands using sniffing methods to gather HTMS. It's my humble and frank opinion.
If you see a painting and make a copy of it (or something that closely resembles the original to the viewer) [a derivative work of], using painting tools, you cannot argue that everyone can use painting tools.

Because you are not charged for painting, you are charged for making unauthorized copies. We are not talking about just painting something, as in writing some HTML markup, we are talking about re-writing content that was created by someone else.

Even if you only saw the original picture in a photo (e.g. you only saw the text and it's layout through the official client), it still applies.
Take a look of this...

Assuming you're saying ... I'll tell you ... if we re-write the text ourself, is no longer equal (we re-write ourself, not copy it as is and put it as is), i mean that is not exactly the same. Its the difference between rework that L2J do and the plagiarism.

Dont know if I explained well...
Honestly L2J HTML structure differ quite a bit from retail structure. The only thing that remains the same is the text... but if you take a look at the structure how tags are, etc. you will see its quite different.
Playing a game where you know how every single mechanism works is quite satisfying.
Its the main perk that a gamer-developer has :D
SaveGame

Post by SaveGame »

Nik wrote:Honestly L2J HTML structure differ quite a bit from retail structure. The only thing that remains the same is the text... but if you take a look at the structure how tags are, etc. you will see its quite different.
I know that for a fact. Still, markup has little to do when the content is the same and even the layout appears the same way.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

Copy text of NPCs can be writted by those who want to in the language that you want to write. Exist 1000000000 pages showing texts and photos about NPCs an his texts... Thats not relevant... Nots the reason for disable repos. I think that @Nik's theory is the real situation. I would like to see wich are the response that give us from anybody.

I will wait till github or anybody answer to Inner Circle. Speculating with good or bad theorys nots the solution, the truth, sincerely, because the Inner Circle is working on this issue. Soon we will know what happened... We must do those that Aikimaniak and/or Zoey tell us... Patience.
SaveGame

Post by SaveGame »

Sacrifice wrote:Copy text of NPCs can be writted by those who want to in the language that you want to write. Exist 1000000000 pages showing texts and photos about NPCs an his texts... Thats not relevant... Nots the reason for disable repos. I think that @Nik's theory is the real situation. I would like to see wich are the response that give us from anybody.

I will wait till github or anybody answer to Inner Circle. Speculating with good or bad theorys nots the solution, the truth, sincerely, because the Inner Circle is working on this issue. Soon we will know what happened... We must do those that Aikimaniak and/or Zoey tell us... Patience.
Translating stolen content does not make it "non-stolen".

I was pointing out that your statement, let me quote it:
Sacrifice wrote:L2J is inder GPLv3 licenses... and nots illegal.
is wrong in so many ways.

You have managed to commit several logical fallacies while arguing, and now finally you shift the argument as if this was all about why l2j was taken down.

l2jfree's main backup repo was among the listed ones, so I can tell you exactly what happened. Some "cool guy" decided to have some fun and filed a fake DMCA takedown notice, knowing about GitHub's DMCA notice processing and anti-retaliation procedures. GitHub immediately disabled all the listed repositories. All you have to do is to file a counter-notice, because neither the "cool guy" nor GitHub actually did a "reality check" on the takedown notice; plus this "cool guy" cannot take any legal action, so public access will be reinstated 10-14 days after you send the counter-notice.

As I understand, someone from l2j already filed one. No we simply wait up to two weeks and the repositories will be available again. There's really nothing else to see here, we can lock this topic.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

SaveGame wrote:
Sacrifice wrote:Copy text of NPCs can be writted by those who want to in the language that you want to write. Exist 1000000000 pages showing texts and photos about NPCs an his texts... Thats not relevant... Nots the reason for disable repos. I think that @Nik's theory is the real situation. I would like to see wich are the response that give us from anybody.

Translating stolen content does not make it "non-stolen".

I was pointing out that your statement, let me quote it:
Sacrifice wrote:L2J is inder GPLv3 licenses... and nots illegal.
is wrong in so many ways.

You have managed to commit several logical fallacies while arguing, and now finally you shift the argument as if this was all about why l2j was taken down.

l2jfree's main backup repo was among the listed ones, so I can tell you exactly what happened. Some "cool guy" decided to have some fun and filed a fake DMCA takedown notice, knowing about GitHub's DMCA notice processing and anti-retaliation procedures. GitHub immediately disabled all the listed repositories. All you have to do is to file a counter-notice, because neither the "cool guy" nor GitHub actually did a "reality check" on the takedown notice; plus this "cool guy" cannot take any legal action, so public access will be reinstated 10-14 days after you send the counter-notice.

As I understand, someone from l2j already filed one. No we simply wait up to two weeks and the repositories will be available again. There's really nothing else to see here, we can lock this topic.
You win!!!... Perfect!!!.
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

Now the main question should be how reliable github can be in the future. For all i know the guy can try the same thing again.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

JMD wrote:Now the main question should be how reliable github can be in the future. For all i know the guy can try the same thing again.
Yes true... this same thing can be again... I dont want to pass again for this same crap... :cry:
Amrod

Post by Amrod »

Call me naive, but isnt Github so "smart" to not let a 2nd DMCA happen against the same Project once it was rejected in the past?
lord_rex

Post by lord_rex »

Amrod wrote:Call me naive, but isnt Github so "smart" to not let a 2nd DMCA happen against the same Project once it was rejected in the past?
You're right at that point. However I'd still insist that NCZ0ft & all CVS hostings shall be warned about the con-man that submits fake DMCA reports. Because we don't want to contest any jurisdiction, we just want to con-test the "cool guy".

If it happened a half year ago, I have already written a 4-pages-long counter notice to NCZ0ft & all CVS hostings - fortunately now I have IRL work, and unfortunately I have no time to deal with such tedious law matters.

The kind warning to the above listed people would be necessary to avoid further inconvenience. They'd know that the only thing they have to do is to disregard the con-man's letter.

However I still stick to my theory that it was related to an L2OFF server owner. (or even the entire L2OFF dev community) They see Java servers as a potential threat, since there are no usable L2OFF leaks (atleast no L2Server.exe to be exact, and extender DLLs are not the same) for newer chronicles. And well, it has been proven that a decent amount of C4/Interlude lovers likely to move to Classic Client, and I trully don't think that GF/H5 will longer be in the spot light. Tbh only L2J keeps H5 alive, when L2J moves to another chronicle, H5 community will die.
You're right. I have forgotten how to act like a normal human being. And I play games and I lie and I trick people to avoid the truth of how I feel.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

We have been doing more work this week, going over the copyright laws and trade mark regulations, we'll get it sorted out in the following days.

I don't expect you guys to start reading copyright laws or anything like that, but I noticed a lot of speculation and little real knowledge.

P.S. Later we will publicly post the defense approach, for future DMCA notices.

Regards