I had a question.

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Link0207

I had a question.

Post by Link0207 »

If I were to start my own L2 server for online use for anyone. Would it be better to use a linux server or a Windows server?
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: I had a question.

Post by JMD »

linux
Link0207

Post by Link0207 »

I am familiar with linux, but I see everyone booting them with their own personal pcs, thats why I was wondering. Can you tell me reasons why Linux is better?
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

what do you mean by booting them with their personal pcs? Linux is less resource hungry than windows for once, also i heard it runs java better overall. Anyway personally i like linux better for l2j.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

performance of Java will be similar in both OS.

just that Linux OS will use less resources than Windows OS, but that doesn't matter if you have a powerfull machine.

Linux/Windows, will be user friendly to administrate if you use remote control sofwares like VNC, Remote Desktop or another similar, otherwise you will have to deal with console and ssh, writing commands, for everything.
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

Linux is just more "serverly", for historical reasons maybe =)
For example, there is iptables (kind of firewall) which you could configure very flexibly and it could be more reliable than windows ones. And many other server-kind things, as MELERIX said, are simpler.