Ubuntu & Putty

Have you created a useful tool? or Do you want to get help building one? This is the right place!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
momo61

Ubuntu & Putty

Post by momo61 »

I ordered a cheap ubuntu linux 8.04 or something server for testing purposes and I connected to it using Putty.
Now my question is, how the hack should someone be able to manage and maintain a server with this black screen ?
I mean, all you see is a black screen with some text. Im thinking about installing GNOME somehow, however lots of people say thats a waste of recourses.

now the thing is, how the hack do you download something on that ? lol
Its so messed up. :s
Gnacik
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Ubuntu & Putty

Post by Gnacik »

install MC - its some kind of norton commander for linux.
BiggBoss
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by BiggBoss »

use putty just for execute commands. And winscp to manage the remote desktop (upload, donwload, delete, create, etc...)
momo61

Post by momo61 »

I appreciate your support. But I now have two things.

MC and Winscp

which one ? ^^
Copyleft

Post by Copyleft »

Well If you are not going to have a desktop/graphics I'd recommend you using Debian, btw quick guide for linux http://l2jserver.com/old-forum/thread.p ... adid=29813

cya
Teepo

Post by Teepo »

Okay, i have ubuntu, too.

Its a nice OS - And i use Winscp to upload or download some Files. Every other thing i do with putty.
Deleting takes much longer time with Winscp...

And install unzip ( apt-get install unzip)
Now you can unzip *.zip files: unzip FILENAME

Here some commands you'll need alot times in Putty:

rm -r FILENAME FILENAME2(if needet)
- This command will delete all the files ord directorys you list after the -r
If a directory contains some files, they're deletet too! It will not ask something, this command just executes!

mv OLDFILENAME NEWFILENAME
Just rename - nothin more :)

chown -R [user] *
Giving the owner to all files inside your actual folger to [user]. Never run L2J as root :)

chmod -R 755 *
Giving the rights for all files inside your actual folder...

Every command you can do with WinSCP - too. But almost it takes more time. If you delete or rename sth with putty and don't DC'ed with Winscp before - you have to refresh. Dont use F5 for it, this will copy the file you actually market to your computer / your server.

Sorry for my bad english, hope didn't miss anything...
momo61

Post by momo61 »

I cant understand how you guys are working with Linux. There are like no decent graphics, you cant see anything ... lol. I dont get it why you guys complain about Windows Server 2003/2008 ? It's fast, its secure and its simple as hell.
I gave up more or less on Linux because it's just not worth it when you want to maintain and manage a server.

On windows you got all the security updates, you got all the fine tools you can use (with graphics like Windows 95,98,2000,XP,Vista,7).

^^ so, you guys are kinda weird :P
raz

Post by raz »

You know i thought the same till i took a class in school..

I learned on a Solaris system, and at first i completly hated it, but after i got used to command lines, and getting to knwo commands.. I kinda fell for it.. and now find myself using putty to ssh to my schools server just to play with linux a lil, and still enjoy the windows environment :p
momo61

Post by momo61 »

raz wrote:You know i thought the same till i took a class in school..

I learned on a Solaris system, and at first i completly hated it, but after i got used to command lines, and getting to knwo commands.. I kinda fell for it.. and now find myself using putty to ssh to my schools server just to play with linux a lil, and still enjoy the windows environment :p

Windows shall rule the world.
poltomb
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by poltomb »

momo61 wrote:
raz wrote:You know i thought the same till i took a class in school..

Windows shall rule the world.
Windows is a great OS for the masses (minus Vista...the biggest mistake ever). WIndows OS, though, is not the best server operating system. A properly configured Windows system is a great server, don't get my wrong, but nothing can compare to comparable linux system that is properly configured. I use both OSes frequently, XP for my home PC and gaming, Ubuntu for my work PC (I do research that involves using a cluster-like setup). There are ways around using only a command-line interface, but I have not explored those options yet (there is a remote desktop setup for Ubuntu). Maybe I'll play with it today and post a bit on it, if I find time. I can also show you a few commands that COULD annoy the hell outta the sysadmins at your datacenter :P
Naminator_X_

Post by Naminator_X_ »

Linux/unix command line is single THE MOST POWERFUL TOOL that you will EVER need. It is 1000% better than Window's command promt (don't confuse those 2 ! They have almost nothing in common). Tbh, Gnome, KDE and all these graphic environments are just wrappers of the command line (which SSH takes advantage of). Simply you can ANYTHING with the command line it just requires some reading and cautions (rm -rf is bad mistake :D )

P.S: Linux is not for everyone to operate with. This is why there are system administrators.
poltomb
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by poltomb »

+ warning for post hunting and resurrecting dead thread