WIKI - Getting started with Eclipse

Have you created a useful tool? or Do you want to get help building one? This is the right place!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
TFNG

WIKI - Getting started with Eclipse

Post by TFNG »

The guide that existed on the WIKI site was wonderfully easy and accurate when I first installed Eclipse and all the stuff that goes with it.
Now ... not so much.
I am at the part in the guide that tells you how/where to install Subversion.
It says

"When you select it, a list of options should appear below the dropdown (might take a few seconds since it downloads that list). Expand Collaboration, find Subversive SVN Team Provider (Incubation) (at the bottom), check it, and just follow a typical install sequence (next, next, I agree, finish)."

Well .. there are 3 SVN Team Provider options and none of them say Incubation.
So which one do I choose?
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: WIKI - Getting started with Eclipse

Post by MELERIX »

TFNG

Post by TFNG »

I guess I went to the "wrong" WIKI... my bad.

I went here: http://www.l2jserver.com/wiki/Setup_Eclipse_and_SVN
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

@MELERIX - I believe all information should be in one place... My guide fits all.
@TFNG - you went to the right wiki.
What is shown to you then?
I updated that wiki article to be up to date with the latest Eclipse and its natively available SVN plugin.
Also, it might aswell be that SVN is already installed for you (see the attached picture; if it's the same for you then Subversive is already installed).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
TFNG

Post by TFNG »

Carry on if you like... but between the 3 pages of out-of-date/incorrect information that I have at my disposal to get Eclipse back up and running it's just fail-fail-fail. I dont even have a "Repositories" option (under New .. or even New->Other) in ANY pane of Eclipse.. so I can't check out squat. I give up on it.
And to think that just a week or so ago it was easy as pie.
TFNG

Post by TFNG »

Whoops... just noticed what could be the issue... your versions and mine are not the same.. yours says Indigo and the current Eclipse is 4.2 (Juno).

Erasing everything and starting over using the older versions.
Let's see if the instructions jive.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

We don't user Subversive, we use Subclipse, due SVN merge tools.
TFNG

Post by TFNG »

BIG fail ... I have been up for 30 hours... going to bed.
TFNG

Post by TFNG »

I want to try this again ... if someone tells which software to use... Subversion? .. Subclipse? ... and no one has said anything about SlikSVN yet.

I don't know what I need so I rely on you guys... just give me the skinny and I will give'r another go.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

TFNG wrote:I want to try this again ... if someone tells which software to use... Subversion? .. Subclipse? ... and no one has said anything about SlikSVN yet.

I don't know what I need so I rely on you guys... just give me the skinny and I will give'r another go.
you should follow this gudes step by step: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10719

is impossible to fail if you read and follow the steps properly.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Either you're not following the steps exactly or I have no idea what you're doing.
I wrote the guide following my own setup process and I know it works; it has worked for many times without fail.
The version of Eclipse doesn't matter in this case, both 3.7 and 4.2 are exactly the same in this process.

I just set up 4.2 on my work computer, and the only difference between wiki and my current setup was that the Subversive plugin didn't have the "(incubation)" part in its name.
I dont even have a "Repositories" option (under New .. or even New->Other) in ANY pane of Eclipse.. so I can't check out squat. I give up on it.
You don't have it because you didn't install the plugin.

I guess I'll add pictures to the guide too, if wikipedia allows me to upload them.
Edit: updated the guide with pictures for everything, just try failing now.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

Subversive is final release in Eclipse 4.2 (so is not on incubation anymore)

but jurchiks... we don't use Subversive in L2J xD

we use Subclipse (due the merge tools).
TFNG

Post by TFNG »

I got it working ... but let me say this ... if you follow jurchiks instructions then picking the latest version of Eclipse is not going to be the best choice. That version will NOT give you a Subversive (Incubation) choice ... period. Only the previous (Indigo) version gives you that option. Doesnt matter tho since after restarting it you have to pick a SVN and the JavaHome that the instructions recommend (or whatever it's called) will fail near the completion of it's install.
I know this is all probably simple stuff to you guys but to a noob like me ... well ... how am I going to pick the correct path when you guys don't even agree which is correct?
Thanks for the help tho ... I, for one, am glad you guys are around to help. Even if sometimes you have to beat us to get us going straight ... lol

It's all good :D
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

That version will NOT give you a Subversive (Incubation) choice ... period.
like I said and MELERIX confirmed, the name doesn't contain "(Incubation)" for Eclipse 4.2.
Doesnt matter tho since after restarting it you have to pick a SVN and the JavaHome that the instructions recommend (or whatever it's called) will fail near the completion of it's install.
More details on this please... What fails where?

@MELERIX - have you tried Subversive's Team > Merge...?
Also, what do you use it for?
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

jurchiks wrote:@MELERIX - have you tried Subversive's Team > Merge...?
Also, what do you use it for?
I've not tested with last Subversive yet, I'll test this night to see how works now.

about merge tools, we use these tools in L2J to sync STABLE with BETA and others related things.