Regarding Dedicated Servers

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Eragon

Re: Regarding Dedicated Servers

Post by Eragon »

rax1418 wrote:I see, I'd like to thank everyone for their willingness to share their opinions on this matter.

This is what I've ended up with:
2GB RAM
160 GB HD
Linux with CentOS
Unmetered Bandwidth
5 GB Backup Space

I was wondering what I need to do in order to access the web using PuTTY with Cygwin/X on the dedicated server that I purchased two days ago. I can manage logging in and using various commands but I cannot for the life of me figure out what needs to be done in order to access the internet through a browser of some sort and download what I need to have on the machine.

I was also wondering what needed to be done in order to transfer the server files I have on my home PC to the dedicated server in question.

With the program PuTTY, all that I have to work with is a command prompt screen. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just installed some type of Windows OS so I could use Remote Desktop.

Thank you.
rax1418
I strongly suggest you get a Windows OS, as I guess it's your first time with a Linux OS.

Otherwise, I might suggest browsing various linux forums to get some sort of basic understanding on how it works.
rax1418

Post by rax1418 »

Vapulabe wrote:try to install "midnight commander" (mc)... It's a norton commander like interfate... It's text mode but very easy to use...
Sounds good, do you know how I would go about doing so in PuTTY?

Thanks.
rax1418
Eragon

Post by Eragon »

with CentOS, simply type:

Code: Select all

yum mc
rax1418

Post by rax1418 »

I actually have recently switched to using Hetzner after my previous host showed how incapable they were regarding service in several areas. But my problem now is figuring out where I can find/create a login and password for the Robot that Hetzner has available:

https://robot.your-server.de/

...so that I can run the Rescue system and install the Ubuntu Linux distribution with a desktop and vnc viewer. I've checked all of my emails received from Hetzner concerning my account info and have found nothing concerning Robot. If anyone can point me in the right direction concerning this matter I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.
rax1418