Regarding Dedicated Servers

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
rax1418

Regarding Dedicated Servers

Post by rax1418 »

If you want to receive support we need this info to help you properly.
» Find Revision
L2J Revision Number: None, I have not even setup a server yet.
L2JDP Revision Number: None, I have not even setup a server yet.

Hello,

I would like to think that I know what I'm doing when it comes to setting up a server, it's the uploading of a server to a dedicated server as well as choosing the right dedicated server that has me rather stumped. I'm a little left in the dark when it comes to actually taking the server and "uploading" it (if you will) to the dedicated server. I also am not 100% sure which dedicated server company I should sign on with as far as quality/price goes. Any suggested companies would be appreciated. I'm planning to start small with maybe a 150 to 200 user cap? This is flexible. My price range is also flexible depending on the possibilities. This seems to be the best deal that I've come across:

https://interserver.net/custom-managed- ... nAodzAFocA
Thoughts? Opinions?

I was also wondering if there are any known tutorials explaining the process involved with getting the server online and open to the public on a dedicated server. I'm uninformed but I'm ready and willing to learn. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
rax1418

P.S. I did my best to read the stickies and post to the forum's specifications so hopefully I haven't stepped on anyone's toes in posting this.
DrHouse
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Re: Regarding Dedicated Servers

Post by DrHouse »

ovh.com <-- check this one out

Leadership and management are not talk and talk, but talk and do

Proud of being a part of this project
rax1418

Post by rax1418 »

DrHouse wrote:ovh.com <-- check this one out
That's great! & they appear to be operating from Europe which was what I was hoping for! You have my thanks, DrHouse.

I hope that you won't mind me asking you a few follow up questions such as, do I want to choose from the list of offers under the Private Servers link or the Dedicated Servers link? What is the difference between the two? Also, which offer would you consider to be the best to start off with?

Thank you again.

::EDIT::

A friend of mine came up with the following. These seem to be the best deals that I've come across:

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/

http://www.webhosting.uk.com/dedicated- ... osting.php

http://www.datacentertalk.com/dedicated ... tered.html
If you haven't noticed, I'd prefer to use someone operating out of somewhere in Europe. Thoughts? Opinions?

(I've been using Yahoo!'s currency converter to find out what it 'd cost me in US dollars: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-conve ... 1%20%20%20)

On that first link, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what the PM after the price means. Also, do any of the specs on these machines appear to be able to meet my needs?
jcalderwood

Post by jcalderwood »

I have been using 1and1 Internet for all the Hosting needs for the servers i am running.

I have had no problems with them over the past few months and they have a few deals on atm too :)

1and1.co.uk
Gnacik
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Gnacik »

i have dedicated server in ovh.pl (part of ovh.com in poland) from 4 years. no problems, really nice support (but in Polish division idk how about 'orginal support' in ovh.com) technical support in data center in france is really fast. and nice promo's to regular customers.
Pere

Post by Pere »

L2TnS is at ovh.es :mrgreen:
Bones tardes amics meus tots!
ZaKaX

Post by ZaKaX »

L2Dreams @ serverloft.de ... They'r Good'n'Cheap. :P
¿ Que dice los cojones de la nina ?
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

I used to ovh since 4 years and continue to use it :)
Daedalus
rax1418

Post by rax1418 »

Judging from what I've learned, OVH is the way to go. So I'm guessing that what I need to do is start off with the
SuperPlan BestOf?

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/superplan_best_of.xml

I was wondering if someone would be willing to make suggestions as to how I should setup the server. (i.e. network bandwidth, operating system, distribution, etc.) I'm only planning to use it to run both the loginserver and gameserver off of to start things off.

Also, if someone were to be kind enough to explain to me what each setting is, what it does and why they think I should choose a particular setting, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you for caring and sharing your opinions.
rax1418

::EDIT::

Doesn't look like I can get OVH to send me the verification text message in order to register with them. Looks like I'm back at square one...?
Vapulabe

Post by Vapulabe »

About the OS, I"d recomment you Linux in text-mode (no remote X or such). This would minimize the ressourses "lost" to the OS. Also, Linux offers are sometimes less expensive (Microsoft licence fees) and offer better performances (better memory management and such).

When under Linux, don't forget to add the "-server" switch to the Java machine. It'll give you a nice performance boost (at the cost of a small memory overhead).
Eragon

Post by Eragon »

Copyleft

Post by Copyleft »

+1, hetzner new offer since june 1st
Eragon

Post by Eragon »

I just ordered a bunch of those servers, rock solid so far.
rax1418

Post by rax1418 »

I see, I'd like to thank everyone for their willingness to share their opinions on this matter.

This is what I've ended up with:
2GB RAM
160 GB HD
Linux with CentOS
Unmetered Bandwidth
5 GB Backup Space

I was wondering what I need to do in order to access the web using PuTTY with Cygwin/X on the dedicated server that I purchased two days ago. I can manage logging in and using various commands but I cannot for the life of me figure out what needs to be done in order to access the internet through a browser of some sort and download what I need to have on the machine.

I was also wondering what needed to be done in order to transfer the server files I have on my home PC to the dedicated server in question.

With the program PuTTY, all that I have to work with is a command prompt screen. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just installed some type of Windows OS so I could use Remote Desktop.

Thank you.
rax1418
Vapulabe

Post by Vapulabe »

try to install "midnight commander" (mc)... It's a norton commander like interfate... It's text mode but very easy to use...