Dedicated sever, two servers ?

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Sinnocent

Dedicated sever, two servers ?

Post by Sinnocent »

I am a newbie to running game servers, I am wondering if it's possible to run two (or more) l2j servers on one dedicated machines. I want to run a high five and interlude server with 500 player capacity on both at least. What sort of specs do I need to look for in a machine to do this?
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Dedicated sever, two servers ?

Post by JMD »

It is but the login server will list both servers in the selection window.

2 cores or more
8gb ram or more
100mbps connection.
SSD drives preferably.
Kriogen

Post by Kriogen »

Don't forget about the bandwidth, which needs to be at least 20mbps upload, otherwise players might have lag.
If you plan for 500 each server, i would allocate more than 4GB for each GS, i would recommend 8.
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

Kriogen wrote:Don't forget about the bandwidth, which needs to be at least 20mbps upload, otherwise players might have lag.
If you plan for 500 each server, i would allocate more than 4GB for each GS, i would recommend 8.
Interlude can ran even on 2gb machine, considering i had an epilogue pvp server with 600 players on a an x2 athlon 2gb machine.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

Kriogen wrote:Don't forget about the bandwidth, which needs to be at least 20mbps upload, otherwise players might have lag.
Consider that 1 GM trying to kill a NPC with superhaste 3 (teorically impossible ok) generates ~1500 bits on each trace.
1500 bits x 500 player = 750000 bits (if 500 players are on the same conditions) --> ~ 1 Mbps upload traffic.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

And... with 4 Gb RAM its sufficient.
Aikimaniac
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Aikimaniac »

If i would plan to run server with two GS, i would consider 32 GB RAM and put them bothl into virtualization...LS as well...

in the past when i used to have server, i had 2 boxes, 1st was OS with virtualized Web server, Login Server and GS server and 2nd box was connected with 1GB and served as database server... :)
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

Aikimaniac wrote:If i would plan to run server with two GS, i would consider 32 GB RAM and put them bothl into virtualization...LS as well...

in the past when i used to have server, i had 2 boxes, 1st was OS with virtualized Web server, Login Server and GS server and 2nd box was connected with 1GB and served as database server... :)
You mean like split a server into two different each with their own dedicated resources?
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

JMD wrote:
Aikimaniac wrote:If i would plan to run server with two GS, i would consider 32 GB RAM and put them bothl into virtualization...LS as well...

You mean like split a server into two different each with their own dedicated resources?
Yes. I saw multiple types of server configurations with high availability. CLUSTER is one of this.

Optimal funtionality is a server in cluster (two different machines connected at MSA (Mass Storage Array).

Cluster service has the power to balance resources manually or automatically between machines (depending of configuration on cluster manager aplication).

Database could be stored in MSA and machines launch LoginServer and GameServer under petion of cluster service. Only ONE machine can be in explotation, the other machine are in stand-by.

Each machine have his own hardware resources off course.

Price of standard cluster when I work with this type of servers... ~32000€. Few years ago off course.
Aikimaniac
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Aikimaniac »

Yeap....but right now you are even create cluster with Raspberry Pi..of course not for L2J server...right now you are able to build for max 2.000€ two servers with Xeon and 16GB ECC and even less than 2.000€...
Sinnocent

Post by Sinnocent »

Crap I was hoping I could have them on the same machine with different logins/IPs. I will look into getting quad core 32gb ram. I am looking at ovh. They have a lot of options.. I hope their ddos protection is decent, it's free afterall.
Thank you everyone for suggestions. I was looking at hetzner but I hear nothing but negative reviews about them.
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

Sinnocent wrote:Crap I was hoping I could have them on the same machine with different logins/IPs. I will look into getting quad core 32gb ram. I am looking at ovh. They have a lot of options.. I hope their ddos protection is decent, it's free afterall.
Thank you everyone for suggestions. I was looking at hetzner but I hear nothing but negative reviews about them.
That company has no ddos protection. Hardware is relieable tho, so if you can get external ddos protection theres no problems.
Sinnocent

Post by Sinnocent »

JMD wrote:
Sinnocent wrote:Crap I was hoping I could have them on the same machine with different logins/IPs. I will look into getting quad core 32gb ram. I am looking at ovh. They have a lot of options.. I hope their ddos protection is decent, it's free afterall.
That company has no ddos protection. Hardware is relieable tho, so if you can get external ddos protection theres no problems.
Oh, it says anti ddos is included, I don't know exactly what that includes. Any recommendations to external ddos protection?
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

Sinnocent wrote:
JMD wrote:
Oh, it says anti ddos is included, I don't know exactly what that includes. Any recommendations to external ddos protection?
I dont know because i use companies like OVH that provide some sort of ddos protection by default. I hear hyperfilter is good but these things cost too much.
LasTravel

Post by LasTravel »

I just left OVH because they DON'T protect against DDoS, they just protect their infrastructures, not their clients, this means that if someone make you some sort of packet DDoS to your login/game server you will just kiss the floor as I did.

For my own experience I don't recommend the external DDoS protection (AKA remote proxy protections) for the login/gameserver (yes for a web site), if you use a Windows server you will have to turn off the flood protection at the loginserver and also the IPV4 at the gameserver both things cause soo many issues and is not worth.

If you use Linux you can use GRE Tunneling that afaik don't cause such issue.

Personally if you're new you can use OVH is cheap and none will attack you, but if you grow enoff to piss off any big server, run away from OVH.

hyperfilter and SoftLayer seems to be the companies with better reputation regarding to this over the internet, but personally who full solved my problem is JavaPipe, their support is just awesome (30 min max to answer a ticket), you can even talk with them on Skype at any hour instant answer good and they make a good price 100% recommended.

Just my opinion :wink: