Everyone who has problems with Eclipse - look

Have you created a useful tool? or Do you want to get help building one? This is the right place!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Szponiasty
Advanced User
Advanced User

Everyone who has problems with Eclipse - look

Post by Szponiasty »

I had serious problems with all Eclipse versions, both - x86 and x64 Windows versions. Huge RAM usage, very very slowly working (even I have 6 G's of RAM), often locking / crashing (even self enabling refactoring that messed up my code often)... So for last 2 weeks I've been working on NetBeans instead. Now I can safely say It's even better than Eclipse. Much faster, much much better buildin diff tools, already equipped with SVN (and other "teamwork") tools, easyly imports Eclipse projects, it has great profiler and debugger build in, resultin code is much smaller (my gameserver .jar on Eclipse: ~4.5 MB, on NetBeans: ~3.8 MB). Maybe it doesn't look so good like Eclipse, but it's pefrectly tolerable ;)

Oh and even got it to work with datapack - it checks dp scripts live with current core sources, and much easier to configure it than Eclipse ;-)

So if any1 has issues with Eclipse, go ahead, don't be afraid - use NetBeans instead :)

And in the next chronicle they went into space, fighting the evil empire... In a galaxy far, far away xD
JIV
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Everyone who has problems with Eclipse - look

Post by JIV »

im not sure what you did with your eclipse but that normally doesnt happen. Last time when i tried netbeans on l2j GS it was much slower than in eclispe.
JVisualVm is standard profiler from JDK and it work with eclipse as well as on your screens.
And about size of jar - they should use same javac so result should be +/- same , its only about configuration (better compression?).
Its still only an IDE so its on you what you choose and prefer (you can use notepad as well).
Szponiasty
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Szponiasty »

JIV wrote:im not sure what you did with your eclipse but that normally doesnt happen. Last time when i tried netbeans on l2j GS it was much slower than in eclispe.
JVisualVm is standard profiler from JDK and it work with eclipse as well as on your screens.
And about size of jar - they should use same javac so result should be +/- same , its only about configuration (better compression?).
Its still only an IDE so its on you what you choose and prefer (you can use notepad as well).
Yup. Sry. Put wrong screenshots (about the profiller / debugger). You're completely right thou. I've just posting an alternative. I dunno why Eclipse works how it works for me (maybe Win7 x64 fault). Anyway I found NetBeans much faster and better for me :)
And in the next chronicle they went into space, fighting the evil empire... In a galaxy far, far away xD
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Well, my Eclipse is pretty much standart, but it also hangs up frequently, eats 50% CPU when busy with ANYTHING and i've found some bugs too (for example, in Compare>each other for text files, each time you edit a line it refreshes the page (really annoying) and doesn't allow you to UNDO, which sucks hard if you make a mistake), so I might as well try it and see how it works.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

oh well, got problems with associating the project with the lib folder (imports don't work), what do I need to add in the project properties?
Edit: nvm, that happened when downloading the clean project from svn, import from Eclipse works good.
But somehow it lags even more than Eclipse... whenever I want to read a warning message, it loads it several seconds and freezes until done, small crap like that... The interface is good but some features are missing, that are present in Eclipse, and lots of others present that are good, but consume additional resources.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Stake

Post by Stake »

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with Eclipse yet. It's never loaded my CPU by 50%, just always stays 0% when I minimize the window. As for the DP project "check", in Eclipse, you just need to put the core's path to the dp's java build path. It's not that big setup. Though I have got some problems with the latest PyDev, but I found a solution that says it needs an "assert isinstance(varName, className)" to know the value of the variable is from which class. So, I've had problem only with the new stupid Jython so far. :)
MEC

Post by MEC »

i learned in college using Netbeans.
i never even heard of Eclipse till i came to this website. but since i've started using eclipse i like it.

although i can't say i've had any problems with it.