L2J Overall questions

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Dutzu

L2J Overall questions

Post by Dutzu »

Hello guys, in previous years i had few l2servers for which i used l2jserver and also some leaked l2p files. I want to start again play with l2jserver files because after 2 years of working in the "field" ( Programming in ASP.NET) i need a new challenge to play with and also do it for passion ( Lineage 2 !). I want to ask few things about L2J files.
1) How stable is now the stable branch?
2) How many players can the stable branch support? And here i ask about the limitations of l2jserver ( how was designed), not about hardware specs, because those days you can get pretty nice dedicated servers for a fair amount of money
3) What is the current status nowadays with the DDoS? Is still a problem? Are hostings like ovh stable in case of a "big DDoS" ?

LE:

4) Also, if I want to start developing and open a beta/live server is it safe to use "development" branch if I have experience in programming? This way i think i can test directly to production and also helping L2jServer community with different bugs that i can try to fix or improvements.
5) I prefer IntelliJ instead of Eclipse ( using Resharper for c# made me choose that). Is it anything that i should do "differently" by using IntelliJ?
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Re: L2J Overall questions

Post by Zoey76 »

Dutzu wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 pm Hello guys, in previous years i had few l2servers for which i used l2jserver and also some leaked l2p files. I want to start again play with l2jserver files because after 2 years of working in the "field" ( Programming in ASP.NET) i need a new challenge to play with and also do it for passion ( Lineage 2 !). I want to ask few things about L2J files.
1) How stable is now the stable branch?
2) How many players can the stable branch support? And here i ask about the limitations of l2jserver ( how was designed), not about hardware specs, because those days you can get pretty nice dedicated servers for a fair amount of money
3) What is the current status nowadays with the DDoS? Is still a problem? Are hostings like ovh stable in case of a "big DDoS" ?

LE:

4) Also, if I want to start developing and open a beta/live server is it safe to use "development" branch if I have experience in programming? This way i think i can test directly to production and also helping L2jServer community with different bugs that i can try to fix or improvements.
5) I prefer IntelliJ instead of Eclipse ( using Resharper for c# made me choose that). Is it anything that i should do "differently" by using IntelliJ?
1) It's stable enough to get you started.
2) I don't have a benchmark for this but at least 300 players should support. Current design only scales vertically, this means that if you reach a limit and you want better performance or accommodate more player you will need a better machine.
3) It's a problem since with DDoS you can take down a VM or dedicated machine. No idea about hosting protection.
4) I'd use develop branch for production since is the one that receive most updates, you can choose to skip some change sets that you may find risky.
5) I use both Eclipse and IntelliJ, the only thing is that formatter is done and included only for Eclipse and if you make a contribution we will have to format it to our standard.