My contributions committed...
2%
Compatibility with new game versions.
21%

Total votes: 94

jurchiks

Re: L2J Changes

Post by jurchiks »

Damn, it looks so much like the query builder I've made in PHP... I've been thinking about making something similar in Java.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Carlos_Ed

Post by Carlos_Ed »

Oh, dear me... did we turn the heat up in here?
Zoey76 wrote:About Javolution, I do know the project lead there (we are facebook buddies :D ) and we are waiting for the stable 6.x version due we have customs in our outdated 5.x version :wink:
Your Javolution "customs" are irrelevant and unnecessary for an application conceived without threading issues... oh wait, you are right. Sorry about that. Still, I suppose none of you actually knows that javolution 6.1 is officially out since December 2013? I suppose that neither of you actually tried it...right?
Zoey76 wrote:About c3p0, we had bonecp for a little while and it didn't work very well, so we didn't invest much time, there are other alternatives, maybe in the future we will change it, for now c3p0 is an stable, active, clean and reliable api that we have come a long time :P
Bone-CP wasn't really what I was thinking about, but since you went up there, I can also say that Bone-CP performs if applications are correctly designed, and can keep their threading issues in check. Bone-CP access is so fast, mostly because the access to the database is that much closer to "raw". There is no "fat" to serve as a buffer or crash cushion for applications of sub-par design. c3p0 is, in that sense almost idiot-proof. So it is easy to understand why it is so much easier to stick with it.
UnAfraid wrote: The better option is to implement hibernate and use JPA approach but that requires hell of a changes to be implemented right.
So either we do it correct or we don't do it at all.
So you have a roach infestation in the house, and you wish to use a nuke to solve it. You can't be bothered to use normal roach spray because it needs too much button pressing, while the nuke is just one press and you can sit back and watch it go down...? But, it is true. When (if...?) L2J manages to get that implemented, I'm sure it will go up by a thousand points in it's bragging value. The way it stands now, most of the people that use it are even ashamed to admit to use L2J. Private servers lie about not using it. It's a nice selling point to attract players. And before you think about it: I use L2J ... but as a plugin library for the purposes I see fit for it.
UnAfraid wrote:Do you have performance issues with c3p0?
Weird i had over 3k players with c3p0 and i didn't had issues.
Neither nBd he had 9k (almost) with c3p0 and it was working pretty good are there nowdays such servers?
Excuse me, how many years ago that was...? Can you claim to do the same with current L2J clean beta/stable (take your pick they are the same, the way they are now)? How about specs. of the server where that ran...? No wait, I can guess. CPU load probably ought to have been through the roof on all cores, if you tell me otherwise I will not believe a word of it, because I know how it used to work back then. Obviously with a big enough system, you can hold/run whatever you want in it without problems. To use that as backup to claim that "everything is fine", is at least laughable. Servers running efficient software last longer, and keep running expenses to a minimum, representing overall more ROI (Return Of Investment). But I guess this might not be up your alley, of course, L2J is in the end just a nice educational project... among other things.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

And here we have the reason why l2j has been hogging more and more resources over the past years, a complaint heard now more than ever... Lack of optimization.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

It's like if jurchiks had duplicated itself :mrgreen:
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

It just shows that I'm not the only logically thinking person around.
KaL

Post by KaL »

Hello! I am not known here, though I follow L2jServer for nearly 6 years, so I will take my time and try to say something. :idea:

I really think this thread came in a good time, when the project seems to need deep breath to settle some things down. It's initial purpose was very clear as the requests of it. However, for the reason I beleive to be the most trouble maker, they were diverted.
Zoey76 wrote:It's like if jurchiks had duplicated itself :mrgreen:
I don't think that answers like this will help at all, specially from autor of the thread, who I suppose is the most interested on it's answers in order to take the next decisions about the future of the project.
UnAfraid wrote:
jurchiks wrote:There will be a difference in performance.
Do you have performance issues with c3p0?
Weird i had over 3k players with c3p0 and i didn't had issues.
Neither nBd he had 9k (almost) with c3p0 and it was working pretty good are there nowdays such servers?
Neither this, because basically is said that since L2j can handle 3k/9k players, it needs no more improvement. It contradicts the fact of the project being still active, also.

But returning to my previous point of the trouble maker, by following the discussions over the threads on the forum, it appears to me that most conclusions are made based on who is talking instead of what is being talked. The interaction between the team and the members entered some personal level in which disagreeing answers basically say: "You're wrong and what you're saying is stupid" by the time it should be "You're wrong because of...".

Also, I believe this discussion about "L2j Format Standards" is no more than a "misunderstood". I really doubt the existance of such issue since all the code can be quickly formatted. In my opinion, what's been tried to say is contributors don't get their shares commited with any "good" explanation or have their work ignored or taken as useless. It simply demotivates them as it takes some time to do whatever is being shared.
This is the point where the L2j Standards enter. The code just don't fit the way devs think it should be placed in the project.
Following this, I ask: if devs are like any other member, but with commit permissions (among other things), why the word of the community about the quality, stability and whatever attribute can be given to a share is rarely taken in account over a dev word?
Why their work isn't shared to be avaliated before getting commited?
How codes out of standard imply in more work to the team than no code at all?
The community has good content-providers that may not be as good as devs on the team or aren't as active as them, but it does not implies their work is bad.
Having incomplete or buggy (to certain level, of course) things on core is better than not having it at all. It gives more room for improvement. It reaches more people than a simple thread.

On the other hand, the community seems not to understand that devs are members with priviledges. They are people with other things to do and cannot dedicate fully to this project. Just normal! Also, this placement seems to give the idea of "perfect coding" and bugs are not acceptable. That's not how it should work.

This is not supposed to be a dispute to point out how bad the other's work is or how wrong their ideas are. Let's try forget the personal level and reach a professional one. It's not because it's user **, who you personally don't like, that his sayings must be shrugged off.

Carlos_Ed pointed out interesting things that should be seriously taken in account if this thread has any intention of being put in pratice. He is, actually, the one who pointed the issues he thinks there are in the project in the most clear and "soft" way. No one likes to be criticized, but this topic is basically for this: discussing problems. Just think we can be polite and nice to others. Flaming takes nowhere and brings no health to the talk.

Please, do not take my hypotesis to the extreme. I don't think shitty code should be commited just because it was shared, neither good shares should be commited in no time without avaliation.
And by avaliation, I mean improvement suggestions, tests, not qualifying it as "good or bad".
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

My answer was short and trivial, because I see that people concentrate so much effort on stuff like:

X contribution(s) I made wasn't committed because a team member(s) didn't care or didn't had time, instead of thinking why other contributions were committed and what did they have better than that X contribution I use any chances to remind everyone that developers don't commit stuff!

Other stuff that is being mentioned a lot, and doesn't bring anything to the project is:
We did X feature or change and for L2j it's impossible to do because <insert any reason here>, that's why people makes and use forks!

Using Javolution 6, BoneCP, Hibernate or any other new implementation won't save the project, it'll be part of the improvements we have been doing for years.

When I started in L2j, none cared about what I though or I did, after I worked for months and my work was ignored, some team member noticed some small parts of this work and gave me some room to work, after getting commit rights I ended up committing my own work shared months ago.

This means that anyone that keeps trying will eventually get it's reward.

Anyway, I tried to change that, I opened Adv. Users group for almost everyone that fits the criteria DrHouse and ThePhoenixBird planned long time ago, instead of waiting for users to prove themselves to the mighty developers.

I also pushed to include and defended many users that for different reasons weren't welcome on the team and they did a great work and some still do.

I have to say that many members wasted the chance they got when we brought them closer to the team, but of course none wants to talk about that.

Open-source is hard, I barely get a thanks for my work once a year, mostly people complain and demand stuff to be done or fixed, some even hate me (without knowing me), not everyone is up to the tasks.