Hyperthreading problems

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
gmakhs

Hyperthreading problems

Post by gmakhs »

If you want to receive support we need this info to help you properly.
» Find Revision
L2J Revision Number:
L2JDP Revision Number:

hello since i took my new dedicated
Intel® Core™ i7-920 Quadcore
incl. Hyper-Threading Technology

RAM 24 GB DDR3 RAM
Hard disks 2 x 750 GB SATA 3 Gb/s HDD
(Software-RAID 1)
with cpanel/whm i start have lag issues from time to time cpu was stressed and server lags after a lot of investigate i realized that hyperthreading feutures is the one who creates the problems after i asked from my hosting company to disable it i run the server with 4 cpu on htop command than 8 (was with hyoer threading) without la for 2 days .
i post this here in case that someone else have the same problem .
before i come to this conclusion i tested pc hardware on rescue os and on centos os and connection speed on both O/S the server was working perfectly . only hyoer threading was creating the lag problem . if this is in wrong section please someone move it to the right :D
jurchiks

Re: l2j / Centos 6 / Hyperthreading i7

Post by jurchiks »

This should fit best in Server Support (just barely missed the right section :D). BTW, this is not dependant on OS.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Kriogen

Post by Kriogen »

I also have a dedicated server with I7 and also have lags. Didn't know this thing, i will test that too.
gmakhs

Post by gmakhs »

i just thought thats good to post all my server infos :D it took me 2 days to realize thats from Hyperthreading and thats becouse of my laptop (using i7) had same problem when i took it with some applications :P
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

jurchiks wrote:This should fit best in Server Support
Moved.
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 🌌 | Eclipse Temurin 21 ☕ | MariaDB 11.3.2 🗃️ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five 🚀

🔗 Join our Discord! 🎮💬
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Also, possibly the topic should be renamed to "hyperthreading problems". I believe it would be more descriptive.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

Real Cores > HT Cores
gmakhs

Post by gmakhs »

Kriogen wrote:I also have a dedicated server with I7 and also have lags. Didn't know this thing, i will test that too.
if with htopo command you see cpu's 100% and some othercores n/a means is from HT:P
nonom
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Hyperthreading problems

Post by nonom »

gmakhs wrote:with cpanel/whm i start have lag issues from time to time
Check if you have configured the cpanel backups. Those tasks eats completely your RAM from time to time and makes a nice bottleneck in your db/hdd depending how many cpanel users have.

One suggestion more, never runs the server under a cpanel user. There are many reasons, in example to prevent those db backups on fly.

Cpanel by itself is not one of the best under performance terms. I prefer DirectAdmin using cgi services instead php.

I have CentOS/i7.
Last edited by nonom on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
gmakhs

Post by gmakhs »

nonom wrote:
gmakhs wrote:with cpanel/whm i start have lag issues from time to time
Check if you have configured the cpanel backups. Those tasks eats completely your RAM from time to time :roll: and makes a nice bottleneck in your db/hdd depending how many cpanel users have.

One suggestion more, never runs the server under a cpanel user. There are many reasons, in example to prevent those db backups on fly.

Cpanel by itself is not one of the best under performance terms. I prefer DirectAdmin using cgi services instead php.

I have CentOS/i7.
i run server under root user and my website under cpanel user :) no backups was beiing held but now event with daily backup i have no problem i thing the problem was clearly from hyperthreading.
nonom
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by nonom »

Try writing "crontab -e" to see what I'm saying ;). Ofc its just a suggestion.

That's Cpanel (by default)

Code: Select all

0 6 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/exim_tidydb > /dev/null 2>&112 23 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/upcp --cron0 1 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/cpbackup35 * * * * /usr/bin/test -x /usr/local/cpanel/bin/tail-check && /usr/local/cpanel/bin/tail-check45 */4 * * * /usr/bin/test -x /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_mailman_cache && /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_mailman_cache30 */4 * * * /usr/bin/test -x /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_db_cache && /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_db_cache45 */8 * * * /usr/bin/test -x /usr/local/cpanel/bin/optimizefs && /usr/local/cpanel/bin/optimizefs30 */2 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/mysqluserstore >/dev/null 2>&115 */2 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbindex >/dev/null 2>&115 */6 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/recoverymgmt >/dev/null 2>&1*/5 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&19 3 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/cpaddons_report.pl --notify7,22,37,52 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&12,58 * * * * /usr/local/bandmin/bandmin0 0 * * * /usr/local/bandmin/ipaddrmap39 23 * * * /usr/bin/freshclam --quiet --no-warnings 
"There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
gmakhs

Post by gmakhs »

yes i tryed it when i was loocking for the problem :D you are right in one way but as i observe cpanel it calculate how much cpu every process use even backups and prevent the overload of the server so if you use for all other thing cpanel it will limmit theeir cpu usage and if you have root for server server will always have a ll cpu
please correct me if im wrong
nonom
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by nonom »

gmakhs wrote:yes i tryed it when i was loocking for the problem :D you are right in one way but as i observe cpanel it calculate how much cpu every process use even backups and prevent the overload of the server so if you use for all other thing cpanel it will limmit theeir cpu usage and if you have root for server server will always have a ll cpu
please correct me if im wrong
Agree, all is relative. I recommend launch manually a cpanel backup and decide yourself. During this time the main process is eating all your RAM from cpanel without exception, and your players will start to complain.

I think cpanel/l2jserver both can live on the same box, depending how many cpanel users / players you have. But probably need tunning for cpanel, and forgot using extras like fantastico and those sh1ts.

And remember that cpanel is a bunch/mashup of services and not just apache/mysql.

I hope it helps you
gmakhs

Post by gmakhs »

yes i understand :D you can set off converse memory feuture of cpanel and save ram... but then i don't know how much cpu it will use... but i have to agree cache ram could be a problem!
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

cpanel is for web hosting not for l2j server hosting :)