JDK Version

Find the proper support area, Saga-Version.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
STARKILLER

JDK Version

Post by STARKILLER »

Greetings.
build.xml define required jdk version, like 1.6 or 1.7.
But what about jdk updates? What's batter to use to compile l2j server: jdk with newest update, or jdk with older update, that was released nearly current server release?
Is it matter at all?
jurchiks

Re: JDK Version

Post by jurchiks »

You should be able to compile with JDK8. L2J doesn't use any of the new features yet though, because Eclipse stable doesn't support JDK8 yet.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
STARKILLER

Post by STARKILLER »

I am interested to hear an info about subversions (updates) to current jdk versions aka 1.6, 1.7.
You are telling me there is no difference which version to use at all.
I am not familiar with java yet, that's why I started to ask.
For example in c++ there is a big difference between a libraries, like 2005, 2008, 2010.
When there is no difference which libraries to use, I see it possible only when:
1. Every newer version have a pack of all previous versions (like Physics for example).
2. Every newer version have the same libraries, which has no sense.

So when you advised me to use jdk 8, the only way I see it normal thing to do - if it works as I describe as a 1st way.
But I prefer to use version required by the source code.
As I said before, I want to hear, which update (subversion) should I use: the newest one or the actual one at the time of source code release (mean old chronicles server releases).
Any extra explanation will be appreciated.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

I don't use Subversion, I use Subclipse as Eclipse's SVN client, both the stable and beta branches require JRE7 to run and JDK7 to work on the source, and it's as jurchiks said compatible with JDK8.