Develop vs Master

Support for the latest build of L2J Server, get help here with installations, upgrades, problems.
Do not post bugs reports here, use viewforum.php?f=77 instead.
There is no support for other server builds than the official provided by l2jserver.com
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Issen

Develop vs Master

Post by Issen »

From where should I start building a server? The develop or the master branch? I'm currently working on the develop pack but everyone and their mother says that it's full of bugs.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Develop vs Master

Post by Sacrifice »

- Develop meaning... Development (new implementations and tests).
- Master meaning... stable (fixed from develop), but with non implemented features.
sahar

Post by sahar »

Both sucks and shouldn't be used for live servers.
Issen

Post by Issen »

Does anyone of you know the most important bugs of each pack? I don't rly care about quests and stuff, i just want Oly,sieges,clans and some instances to work properly (or to be fixable easily)
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

sahar wrote:Both sucks and shouldn't be used for live servers.
Wich is the best pack that doesn't have bugs and can be useable for live servers?...
sahar

Post by sahar »

Atm none, people says sunrise but I never checked it, I do never trust private forks, they always got crap to hide.

Anyway like I said l2jserver isn't ready for a live server by all means, even if you think of "Oh i dont need any quests etc I just want pure pvp", that's excactly what I wanted, and to be fair, the amount of bugs I find each days makes it feel like l2jserver was created yestarday.

Again, its not ready for a live server unless you got plenty of developers ready to fix every bug found, from bugged attributes system to non-implemenated fan-range, bugged crit-resist formulas, bugged calls to onExit() of effects, bugged knownlist and so on, not to speak of bugged geo-engine.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

That you tell are very well... but think that if we dont have DMCA we dont stop develop.

Otherway Zoey76 need to hire more developers (even if they are "in practice"), because I think that the 9 developers that L2J have, are overloaded. Anybody can contribute but normally dont hear whatever to say the contributors.

I did pull requests, but allways been critized when should be heared and adapted by L2 if are interested...

Its my opinion... eh...
Zephyr
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Zephyr »

I think develop is better than master (at least for now but, as sahar said, it's not really for production).

About the new devs, we are talking about a few changes to improve the situation :+1: . Sadly, i can't give you details.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

Zephyr wrote:I think develop is better than master (at least for now but, as sahar said, it's not really for production).

About the new devs, we are talking about a few changes to improve the situation :+1: . Sadly, i can't give you details.
I understand, but well organized. You will have to use 'Microsoft Project' to organize tasks and even the tasks that are assigned to developers is more convenient than with the forum (more complicated). Right now, it is the way we work in Spain and manage projects. When you get used to using it is very convenient.
Zephyr
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Zephyr »

Sacrifice wrote:
Zephyr wrote:I think develop is better than master (at least for now but, as sahar said, it's not really for production).

I understand, but well organized. You will have to use 'Microsoft Project' to organize tasks and even the tasks that are assigned to developers is more convenient than with the forum (more complicated). Right now, it is the way we work in Spain and manage projects. When you get used to using it is very convenient.
You dont need 'ms project' to organize a small Team, it's too much documentation that doesn't add any value to the project.

If you want to use a methodology, agile is more convenient in this case, where there is less members and the context changes every day.

But yes, we need a tool to organize the devs.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Use develop for now, about the management tool we are working on that as well.