Question about customization

Support for the latest build of L2J Server, get help here with installations, upgrades, problems.
Do not post bugs reports here, use viewforum.php?f=77 instead.
There is no support for other server builds than the official provided by l2jserver.com
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
terrance

Question about customization

Post by terrance »

A really basic question: when customize something in the datapack, should I copy the whole xml into the "custom" folder and modify it in there or only copy the stuff that I want to customize?

For example, if I want to change item 14739 in 14700-14799.xml, what I'm doing now is copying the 14700-14799.xml into "custom" folder and delete all the items I don't want to modify and only leave the basic xml structure and item 14739 in there, is this the correct way of doing this?
jurchiks

Re: Question about customization

Post by jurchiks »

If you modify existing items, you don't copy anything anywhere, you modify the existing xml file and that's it. I'm pretty sure the stats aren't overwritten if you copy an item to a custom XML and modify it there. If they are though, then what you're doing is good as it is.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
terrance

Post by terrance »

jurchiks wrote:If you modify existing items, you don't copy anything anywhere, you modify the existing xml file and that's it. I'm pretty sure the stats aren't overwritten if you copy an item to a custom XML and modify it there. If they are though, then what you're doing is good as it is.
I thought the custom folder is there so you don't have to modify the existing xml? So if you update your datapack your custom changes will not get overwritten? Anyway, I already did a few successful changes this way, but the reason I'm making this post is because I'm not sure what's happening to the other items I omitted in the xml in custom folder, is the server smart enough to use the original stats for those items or is it going to think those items do not exist?
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

terrance wrote:For example, if I want to change item 14739 in 14700-14799.xml, what I'm doing now is copying the 14700-14799.xml into "custom" folder and delete all the items I don't want to modify and only leave the basic xml structure and item 14739 in there, is this the correct way of doing this?
This is correct, I believe you could even use custom names and merge different ID ranges.