[Community] Things like this disappoint us... seriously...

Read me first before posting anywhere!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Re: Things like this disappoint us... seriously...

Post by Zoey76 »

@ThePhoenixBird although I am disappointed as almost every team member, I would not have made a topic about it, this just brings useless flame and gives this ungrateful users the chance to promote their work.

@MELERIX this is not only about ethics, this is about a legal contract we have and our users agree the moment they get our source code/binary files, even infamous laws like DMCA protect us from copyright theft.

@coder89 You are wrong, you do not need to commit it to a public SVN to break the license, if you have our source and remove credits or replace license you are breaking our software license.

I believe, as long time open source developer, that things like this cannot be avoided, in fact they should be expected and as main project we should let the other projects know way to act.

Finally I think that ThePhoenixBird took the right steps contacting this user and informing the situation, taking the time to explain the things the way they are, I think the job is done here, I don't expect much from an user that call moron other forum users, by the way you have got yourself a well-deserved forum warning.

Good luck with your project, the life expectancy of a project that starts with "cleanup patches" that consist on removing authorship from files is almost none. :lol:
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
coder89

Post by coder89 »

Zoey76 wrote:@ThePhoenixBird although I am disappointed as almost every team member, I would not have made a topic about it, this just brings useless flame and gives this ungrateful users the chance to promote their work.

@MELERIX this is not only about ethics, this is about a legal contract we have and our users agree the moment they get our source code/binary files, even infamous laws like DMCA protect us from copyright theft.

@coder89 You are wrong, you do not need to commit it to a public SVN to break the license, if you have our source and remove credits or replace license you are breaking our software license.

I believe, as long time open source developer, that things like this cannot be avoided, in fact they should be expected and as main project we should let the other projects know way to act.

Finally I think that ThePhoenixBird took the right steps contacting this user and informing the situation, taking the time to explain the things the way they are, I think the job is done here, I don't expect much from an user that call moron other forum users, by the way you have got yourself a well-deserved forum warning.

Good luck with your project, the life expectancy of a project that starts with "cleanup patches" that consist on removing authorship from files is almost none. :lol:
@was my patch I can add/remove/move/* whatever I want :P why u don't get it?
@the right step for what?? wtf did u read anything I writhed?? I have not broke any GPL rule..
@thx for warning, yup I deserve it, but ppl what comment without any clue about something, like they know all about, dont deserve another endearment.
the life expectancy of a project that starts with "cleanup patches" that consist on removing authorship from files is almost none.
<<< this was funny :mrgreen: my respect :P but keep in mind the huge diff of stability between Ac1s and Broken, and this came from cleanups, redesings, reworks and so on.. but u alrdy know that :P
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

Unless you have wrote the patch by hand you had have to modify the source removing the credits to generate it, therefore license violation.

Do not mix aCis with this, first they do not remove credits, second the reworks based on our work from the current High Five branch give/keep credits.
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

coder89

Post by coder89 »

Zoey76 wrote:Unless you have wrote the patch by hand you had have to modify the source removing the credits to generate it, therefore license violation.
just lol :mrgreen: think again ;)
Zoey76 wrote: Do not mix aCis with this, first they do not remove credits, second the reworks based on our work from the current High Five branch give/keep credits.
this is all u got? :shock: seems like I need to explain every word, my point was Ac1s than Broken, did cleanups, redesigns, reworks and gain stability so after same concept my project could gain that by
starts with "cleanup patches"

Ahh and btw the on that patch should be more than remove whatever comments :wink: or u have the wrong patch :mrgreen:
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

coder89 wrote:
Zoey76 wrote:Unless you have wrote the patch by hand you had have to modify the source removing the credits to generate it, therefore license violation.
Zoey76 wrote: Do not mix aCis with this, first they do not remove credits, second the reworks based on our work from the current High Five branch give/keep credits.
this is all u got? :shock: seems like I need to explain every word, my point was Ac1s than Broken, did cleanups, redesigns, reworks and gain stability so after same concept my project could gain that by

Ahh and btw the on that patch should be more than remove whatever comments :wink: or u have the wrong patch :mrgreen:
for 5 changed lines you cannot drop authorship what lefts for GPL license header.
No matter that you have done this or the president, its still GPL license violation in every aspect.
Why you cannot understand that ain't you that 'smart' as you claim to be?
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

First I didn't say cleanup patches only, I said:
"cleanup patches" that consist on removing authorship from files
And I believe you didn't understand the point that if you remove credits or change license you are falling into a license violation.

I'm certain that what I wrote is correct and your answer was "just lol think again".

coder89

Post by coder89 »

UnAfraid wrote:
coder89 wrote:

for 5 changed lines you cannot drop authorship what lefts for GPL license header.
No matter that you have done this or the president, its still GPL license violation in every aspect.
Why you cannot understand that ain't you that 'smart' as you claim to be?
Zoey76 wrote:First I didn't say cleanup patches only, I said:
"cleanup patches" that consist on removing authorship from files
And I believe you didn't understand the point that if you remove credits or change license you are falling into a license violation.

I'm certain that what I wrote is correct and your answer was "just lol think again".
WTF?? sorry but if u still believe a patch file is l2j property if is about l2j then u have a problem, and I can't do anything to fix that :lol:
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

Who talk's about property lol..
We're talking about violation of GPL
ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

My intention when bringing this matter to the public, is to show our users and contributors how we act against GPL violations, of course there is not always a peaceful and polite solution, yet we still try, sometimes we get a sincere apology other times we get insulted and told to "fuck off" by childish, selfish and egocentric developers.

By doing so we try to protect the attibution that thousands of developers, contributors and users deserve, becasuse L2j wasnt built by a couple of crazy drunk devs during one night... (well maybe just at the early stages) but it is what is today thanks to our huge community.

A couple of years ago i wrote this post viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18958 in reference to non-friendly forks, because there is no need to apply non-ethical methods against the GPL in order to be a successful fork, we know tons of projects that have benefited from L2j work and they give us credit and we apraise them for the incredible works they have created from it.

BTW, small things like this disappoint us, but we are a pretty mature project with brave developers who never give up, so things like this just make the coffee a tad more bitter, but once we find in our HUGE community support to keep going on, it adds anoter sugar spoon and it tastes a lot better, thanks to YOU (our community) we are still here working for FREE for YOU.

This topic will be closed and archived (for future reference) in the next 24 hours.
Sylar88

Post by Sylar88 »

Hi,

let me tell you the things that disappoint me since you told us yours :

I don't like how the L2J is being run and what is more, leaded by a group of people that barely contribute to this project. I'm talking about the Inner Cyrcle. Sure they used to be doing the work in the past, but now there are new "players" around, the Zoey Era if I may say it. All those old farts that stay here have such a tight grip in power that they can't understand that the code and generally L2J does not belong to them. They should all retire and give room for the new developers to take full control, fresh without the ghosts from the past.

I don't like how everyone that disagrees and argues with the team gets silenced or even worse banned without having the right to even defend himself. Let alone being depicted as the Villain.

I don't like that we were being treated like pigs. We don't expect the team to give us progrmaming and l2j tutorials but to come clear with us in every change and in every plan. That is how Open source projects work. Never in my life have I seen an open source project that has private repositories only for the elite.

I don't like the fact that you somehow created this topic and then by your democratic manners decided to lock it when it didn't work out the way you probably liked.

I don't like the fact that you come in here mister priest PhoenixBird to purge the Inferno from the bad dieties like that Diablo guy, but the true "Diablos" are inside your team and you did nothing about it all those years even if you knew it.

I used to have my own private server once upon a time before i quit for good. I was going by the name Issle and I was a complete jackass without manners like Diablo is now. Most probably, I still am that same jackass.

But guess what people, you , are like me. Most of you in L2J are the same shitty garbage as I am. Rude, mouthful and always ready to insult and apply your type of justice. So before you come out here to tell us that we disappoint you, go look at the fucking mirror .... Cause we are all the same shit. If we weren't, this project would work like all the other Open Source projects out there.

In here, it's all about stealing and all about crying ... Was, is, will be.
Someone who didnt bother reading the svn or ant manual and just waited for you to make him a visual guide for eclipse is not a guy that is willing to learn ... He is the definition of the leecher.
ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

Hi Sylar88

Thanks for your message, but i would like to clarify some points:
  • Inner Circle are not project leaders, we are advisors. Most of us are retired and stepped down, but we stay in touch with current Project Leaders: Zoey76 (Core) and MELERIX (DP) on IRC and other instant message services, the IC provide guidance consulting to the current Leaders based our past experiences.
    sylar88 wrote:everyone that disagrees and argues with the team gets silenced or even worse banned without having the right to even defend himself
  • The fact that you can express yourself here (politely) while not agreeing with us, totally contradicts what you are saying. What we dont tolerate are insults, xenophobic comments or racial insults, those are banned/warned right away, our forums rules of conduct explain that.
  • L2j Project has no private repositores for the Elite, and we dont sell custom packs or PREMIUM builds, if you refer to this: http://www.l2jserver.com/2010/04/l2j-se ... t-changes/ then you should figure out that its just a JOKE for Aprils Fools Day (NT: I still receive one or two pm's monthly asking for this) but on the other hand we can't prohibit developers from having THEIR OWN personal repositories with private modifications and they are free to do whatever they want with them. Yet what they do with those are not related to L2j Project.
  • Im locking this topic because it served its purpose: to show our community how we fight agaisnt GPL violations. There is no need to leave it open just for trolls and forum flaming.
  • I'm not a Priest, im a god damm Demon Hunter! and yes i play D3 a lot and killed Diablo in Hell difficulty alone! pew pew pew!
    sylar88 wrote:I used to have my own private server once upon a time before i quit for good. I was going by the name Issle and I was a complete jackass without manners like Diablo is now. Most probably, I still am that same jackass.

But guess what people, you , are like me. Most of you in L2J are the same shitty garbage as I am. Rude, mouthful and always ready to insult and apply your type of justice. So before you come out here to tell us that we disappoint you, go look at the fucking mirror .... Cause we are all the same shit. If we weren't, this project would work like all the other Open Source projects out there.
  • The fact that i took time to reply to a shitty garbage, rude, mouthful and always ready to insult guy (as you described yourself) like you politely without an insult proves you wrong.
We are not like you.
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

Sylar88 wrote: I don't like how everyone that disagrees and argues with the team gets silenced or even worse banned without having the right to even defend himself. Let alone being depicted as the Villain.
Since one year and half (Since i am in the team) we haven't banned anyone for disagrees and argues
Sylar88 wrote: I don't like that we were being treated like pigs. We don't expect the team to give us progrmaming and l2j tutorials but to come clear with us in every change and in every plan. That is how Open source projects work. Never in my life have I seen an open source project that has private repositories only for the elite.
Again since year and half this svn is not used.
Sylar88 wrote: I don't like the fact that you come in here mister priest PhoenixBird to purge the Inferno from the bad dieties like that Diablo guy, but the true "Diablos" are inside your team and you did nothing about it all those years even if you knew it.
I think you still remember the old times its time to catch up a lot have changed.
Sylar88 wrote: I used to have my own private server once upon a time before i quit for good. I was going by the name Issle and I was a complete jackass without manners like Diablo is now. Most probably, I still am that same jackass.

In here, it's all about stealing and all about crying ... Was, is, will be.
I never had problems with the Team when i just come in this community and even after.