Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
DrLecter
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

[L2j] important news and changes from Hi5 onwards

Post by DrLecter »

Hello everybody out there using L2j

After discussing and talking for a while with people from almost every group in the L2j community, we figured out several key changes in the way this project development should continue from now on.

All this time the development have suffered some slowdown and we think that H5 release might be a perfect time to revert and sort some of the issues that caused such delay, and that -we are aware- have diminished developers+community interaction/flow of goods.

At this point team and community should be one and the same, collaborating towards a single ideal of perfecting our beloved free software piece, teh L2j. With the upcoming changes we're going to reinforce our commitment with this perspective, and we're counting on you to succeed.

Starting from H5, further development will take place in a public branch, named (surprise) unstable. Initiates and devs should work there at will, with the single premise of taking L2J to the next possible level of perfection and stability. Fine grain details such as naming/coding conventions will be derived from current ones, but may evolve as the group of persons working there see fit. This way all of us will be able to test ideas, contribute and provide consistent feedback, and see the talent of our teammates in action from the very beginning. Trunk will still contain CT2.5 'till H5 reaches enough stability. At this time a 2.5 branch will be created and trunk will be stable H5. Unstable branch will remain in service for H5 and the upcoming expansions.

Nightlies, that are now fully functional again will be taken from stable/trunk only, and source code exports will be created from time to time for FS/OS reference directories such as freshmeat, SF.net, etc. BUT there will be no nightly from unstable. People interested in giving a try to it will have to catch it up on their own. This way we should keep newcomers apart from bugs and stability/installation issues the unstable branch may hold now and then.

In the next couple of days we'll be informing you about more changes, and the ways you can join the team to make L2J roar again.

Oh, and the diff_view thing should be back one of these days.

Gotta say sorry for the delay too, but better late than never. Hoping to hear from you soon. Sincerely.

The L2J development team.
Search HERE. Read HERE. Then write.
K4N4BS

Re: [L2j] important news and changes from H5 onwards

Post by K4N4BS »

L2jServer OWNS =D
pokiokio

Post by pokiokio »

I'm kinda confused...is the trunk now H5? :P

Sorry, it's just very late here.

Keep up the good job btw. :wink:
Prolly the youngest L2j user :P
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

pokiokio wrote:I'm kinda confused...is the trunk now H5? :P

Sorry, it's just very late here.

Keep up the good job btw. :wink:
currently is not h5 there will be new folder for h5
ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

To simplify a bit the FIRST of a series of announcements.

From now on, we will change the way you get the lastest version of L2j, there will be two new flavors on the SVN: Stable and Unstable.

Stable branch will be considered the READY TO USE version, solid build tested over months and considered the ideal one to start a new server, Nightly builds already compiled and avaliable to download on the website will be generated from this files.

Unstable branch will be now our sandbox :!: HIGHLY UNSTABLE, NOT FOR USE IN LIVE SERVERS :!: and we will dump there our work in progress, this branch is open development with the community, so they can know on what are devs working on and what they can help with (contributons), of course, you can expect your server to crash, explode, or just burn your house and eat your cookies.

Will this change L2j in some way?

Actually not much yet since from the official developers point of view it just means that they can show on what are they working on to the community.

:idea: From now on, instead of directing new users to "download the code and compile the server yourself" we will recommend to use the nightly build for starters

:!: If you know how, you can keep compiling your server from SVN, but be advised... the new Unstable branch is not-as-stable as the old trunk, you can expect a lot of nullpointers, crashes and errors, since this is WORK IN PROGRESS.

:idea: Once the Unstable branch gets to the point that it can be considered stable, we will update the Stable branch with it.

:!: The Unstable branch will have experimental features on it, new content will be developed and tested there before going to the Stable branch, trying to port or use this features on your live server can cause serious balance problems or just crash your server, but if you are willing to help to develop L2j then you are welcome to test them.

:arrow: :arrow: COMMUNITY will have now have an important role on the L2j Development:
Devs will be working on their normal speed, there is no change on this, but being able to show to the community what are they doing, gives you (who is reading this) the chance help with their work, we expect that the community gets more involved in the L2j development and not just stalk us in the forums waiting for new releases and code to leech off.

If you want to see a faster L2j development,
then you need to help to get it done faster!

Hope this works well :P

BETA links are:
Core: http://svn.l2jserver.com/branches/unsta ... erver_BETA
DataPack: http://svn.l2jdp.com/branches/unstable/ ... aPack_BETA
Raikkon35

Post by Raikkon35 »

You just brighten up my day :D .

I would like to make a suggestion, a list of things to do. I think that TRAC has this.

Yeah, I know that users will see development in the unstable branch, added to this, things can be even more organized.

In each ticket users could comment and upload patches. And if TRAC can not, a new section in the forum with a thread by thing to do. And also for bug reports!

With all this newchanges, it would be much easier to contribute to the project. I also hope to help as I can.

Thank you very much for everything, L2J Team.
ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

Raikkon35 wrote:You just brighten up my day :D .

I would like to make a suggestion, a list of things to do. I think that TRAC has this.

Yeah, I know that users will see development in the unstable branch, added to this, things can be even more organized.

In each ticket users could comment and upload patches. And if TRAC can not, a new section in the forum with a thread by thing to do. And also for bug reports!

With all this newchanges, it would be much easier to contribute to the project. I also hope to help as I can.

Thank you very much for everything, L2J Team.
This already exists

User Contributions

Bug Reports
Raikkon35

Post by Raikkon35 »

Eh no, I was referring to a list of things to do, User Contributions does not have that.

Bug reports you are right :D .
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

Edit: Opz wrong thread..
sync

Post by sync »

L2J team, as usual shocking your news!
Everything you do, make the server better.
THANK L2J TEAM!

//sorry for my google translate:(
sam.jr

Post by sam.jr »

L2J, i wanna baby from you! :D Good job guys.
== ==
momo61

Post by momo61 »

This sounds wonderful. Thanks to all the Devs who made this idea come true.
I got an idea for the main website though due to these two stable & unstable branches.

Could/Will we have 4 kinds of Tracs?

Right now we got "Core Trac" and "Datapack Trac", will we add "Core Unstable Trac" And "Datapack Unstable Trac" or how will we be able to compare what is what? I think it's a good idea, also the idea of a stable and unstable version of L2J.

Brilliant.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

@momo - it's a branch in the same svn. You'll just checkout/update from a branch, not trunk.
Updates to it show up in the same Timeline as trunk.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
momo61

Post by momo61 »

I noticed that. But wouldnt it look more tidy if unstable had its own timeline xD?
It's just my thought.
Nyaran

Post by Nyaran »

Great Scott!!

Then, if I understand well, hidden devsvn/devtrac will be public like unstable? Nice!!

One suggestion, for unstable release use different svn and join it with MultiProjects function of Trac, even, join into same trac L2JServer and L2J_DP

Here some screenshots about it, if you want more, tell me :p
timeline.png
rep_index.png
Images are from my copy of L2J for view diff into trac :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My English is bad, if you don't understand me, call Plim and she translates it xD