BiggBoss
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: [L2j] L2j Server Important Changes! [UPDATED!]

Post by BiggBoss »

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

This thread lacks of Captain Obvious and O RLY? image reactions.
I'll fix that:

Revolution burns within us all.
Bloodshed
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Bloodshed »

I hope the bridge jump count didn't get up at an alarming rate these last few days, thanks for all the posts that brought me joy and made me feel all warm inside. :twisted:
taking a break;
rocoder

Post by rocoder »

ThePhoenixBird wrote:First Post Updated
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: damn!!! ...I rly hoped in a miracle :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:( :( :( :( :(
DrHouse
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by DrHouse »

FUCK IT $.$, IT WAS A JOKE :P

Leadership and management are not talk and talk, but talk and do

Proud of being a part of this project
rocoder

Post by rocoder »

DrHouse wrote:FUCK IT $.$, IT WAS A JOKE :P
WHY ??? :( :( :( :( this world can be better with this :twisted: :twisted: no more shit servers owned by kids... :roll: :roll: :P :P
momo61

Post by momo61 »

rocoder wrote:
DrHouse wrote:FUCK IT $.$, IT WAS A JOKE :P
WHY ??? :( :( :( :( this world can be better with this :twisted: :twisted: no more shit servers owned by kids... :roll: :roll: :P :P
it'd be good, but not too expensive and no kind of population limits.
BiggBoss
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by BiggBoss »

you guys talk about the end of "bad" servers, when you are talking about users who set up a server for them and their friends, guys who wanna make a try at this world and so on. I really doubt you guys was so pro the first time you setted up a server.

One thing is talk about leechers, and others, to wish other people cant set up a decent server
theone

Post by theone »

BiggBoss wrote:One thing is talk about leechers, and others, to wish other people cant set up a decent server
+1
momo61

Post by momo61 »

BiggBoss wrote:you guys talk about the end of "bad" servers, when you are talking about users who set up a server for them and their friends, guys who wanna make a try at this world and so on. I really doubt you guys was so pro the first time you setted up a server.

One thing is talk about leechers, and others, to wish other people cant set up a decent server
Yes of course you are right. But the idea of 2 types of servers is not a bad one. Standard and premium(with events, special codes etc.). This could finance the whole l2j project for many years and give the devs more motivation to do even greater work. Only fear is that l2j would ignore the standard version as time passes by and we'd be focusing on the premium only.

peace 8)
macdonald12

Post by macdonald12 »

You're talking like all the people who already do contribute (in whatever way / whatever amount) would all be happy to pay for such a 'license' (and continue contributing) while also being the only ones who would pay for it - thinking all the leechers would pack their bags. If theoretically you'd implement such system it would not change the leecher aspect for they would merely be paying for it while technically still being a leecher. A situation which could be compared with NC-Soft sustaining bots on their live servers just because they generate revenue.
Vapulabe

Post by Vapulabe »

Well, the April fool was obvious from the start for several reasons

1) images names
2) L2J team has always had as motto to avoid troubles with NC-Soft... Selling the server is the best way to have trouble
3) Project is GPL and there are already a bunch of forks... Making future versions "commercial" would have as only result to kill L2J and have people going to the forks
4) L2J is using several GPL'd parts NOT OWNED by L2J team which means that it has to stay GPL unless a big rewrite is done
5) AFAIK, L2J is originated from a Japanese L2 emulation project... Same for L1J (which is for Lineage 1)... which is GPL... even if lots of code has been improved/updated/... by current L2J team, part of core L2J still comes from that inheritance and can't be moved out of GPL
6) Change done on the 1 April day is soo obvious

Now, there has been talk about making "lame admin" stopping to set up L2J servers... Well... I'd say that it's more than "good" or "lame" admins...

- people setting up a L2J server for LAN with friends (like myself)
- people installing a L2J server to have a look at L2 before deciding to move to official
- lame admins, setting up a L2J out of the box and not caring about updating/hunting bots/fixing/...
- people installing a L2J and trying to understanding it to better understand Java
- people dedicated to L2J administration and having heavily customized L2J server
- people dedicated to L2J administration and trying to have the most L2 official like server (very low rates and such)

And some may be on several of these definitions...

Making code contrib also require programming knowledge... and not basic knowledge as you'd have to first understand how the whole thing is working !!!

Maybe L2J lacks some "junior" projects available to the people who are not as good in programming... And some *good* programmer documentation (Javadoc anyone ?).
rocoder

Post by rocoder »

BiggBoss wrote:you guys talk about the end of "bad" servers, when you are talking about users who set up a server for them and their friends, guys who wanna make a try at this world and so on. I really doubt you guys was so pro the first time you setted up a server.

no I was not, but I knew enough about programming, and I did not cry after someone for help, first time I managed to start a server took me more than 1 day, but I managed. Now, after 3-4 years when I am involved in l2servers can say that there are too many servers opened by children or people who have no idea, but want to make money from it. 8)
theone

Post by theone »

Vapulabe wrote:Maybe L2J lacks some "junior" projects available to the people who are not as good in programming... And some *good* programmer documentation (Javadoc anyone ?).
+1 Vapulabe
(also perhaps some decent tutorials?...)
ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

I hear wikidoc typing sounds in my head? :shock: