Read me first before posting anywhere!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Aikimaniac
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Re: [L2j] L2j Server Important Changes! [UPDATED!]

Post by Aikimaniac »

Vapulabe wrote:Well, the April fool was obvious from the start for several reasons

1) images names
2) L2J team has always had as motto to avoid troubles with NC-Soft... Selling the server is the best way to have trouble
3) Project is GPL and there are already a bunch of forks... Making future versions "commercial" would have as only result to kill L2J and have people going to the forks
4) L2J is using several GPL'd parts NOT OWNED by L2J team which means that it has to stay GPL unless a big rewrite is done
5) AFAIK, L2J is originated from a Japanese L2 emulation project... Same for L1J (which is for Lineage 1)... which is GPL... even if lots of code has been improved/updated/... by current L2J team, part of core L2J still comes from that inheritance and can't be moved out of GPL
6) Change done on the 1 April day is soo obvious
1) was done for purpose so a bit smarter visitors will see this :D
2) under some condition not the case (ask layer in your country for possible problems, in EU nobody will take you to court.)
3) no problem to change licence from GPL to something else or not be under any licence (ask layer in your country for possible problems, in EU nobody will take you to court.)
4) same as point nr.3 (ask layer in your country for possible problems, in EU nobody will take you to court.)
5) L2J started to exist 5 months before L2J JP afaik...no idea about L1j :D
6) finaly...joke was a good idea and many emo reactions brough smile upon all those who have at least part of working brain and have understand this as a joke since it started :D
Vapulabe

Post by Vapulabe »

well, in order to do a licence change, you've to get the OK from all people who have code in the program... that's why some project ask that you give yours copyrights to them when you submit a patch.

An NC Soft could attack L2J for copyright violation (mostly the L2DP part), also in europe... If they didn't do it until now, it's because they don't think that i's worth doing it (you don't have pockets big enough... as the project will be forked anyway and will never be shut off... think of BNetd vs Blizzard... now PVPGN)

About L1J, I think that the english code is hosted on Google... not sure anymore (I saw it long ago... tested and decided that I don't like it...)
Aikimaniac
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Aikimaniac »

well, in order to do a licence change, you've to get the OK from all people who have code in the program... that's why some project ask that you give yours copyrights to them when you submit a patch.
Not sure about this when you go to closed project without to making sources free and selling the "final product"..im sure in EU can NCZ0ft realy blow you...as well in Russia or China.. :D
An NC Soft could attack L2J for copyright violation (mostly the L2DP part), also in europe... If they didn't do it until now, it's because they don't think that i's worth doing it (you don't have pockets big enough... as the project will be forked anyway and will never be shut off... think of BNetd vs Blizzard... now PVPGN)
ive remember there have been talks in the past about that NCZ0ft already took L2J to court but lost due some grandfather clause when they attacked L2J cause of violating EULA or something...but no idea if that havent been rumours only..and L2JDP ? server can run without DP as well...so DP and its using is the issue not L2J server core...btw...what should cause the issue on L2JDP ? mob names ? Quest htms ? :)
Vapulabe

Post by Vapulabe »

About licence change :

some GPL (or not GPL) opensource project had to go to many trouble when changing licence because every contributor which had code in the program had to agree the change. If I remind well, it happenned for WINE project.

If the program goes closed source, this means a licence change... Else, the product stays GPL, you've to give the full sources to people who buy it and they can redistribute the project for free as it's still GPL.

Basically, that's why we see so many licences (Mozilla licence, sun licence, ...) and why some programs are under dual licences, the other (non GPL) allowing to fork and drop the GPL (+ licence change).

L2JDP

Trouble with L2DP is "everywhere" : mob names, mob characteristics, item names, recipes names + needed mats, place names, quest names, texts, ... L2DP is a blattant copy of the L2 world...

It's true that you can't copyright elves. But think about music : you can't copyright chords or individual musical notes... But if your new tune has more than X (depends on the country) notes equal to another tune, it's copyright infringement (same if notes are translated). The same will apply here, it's not like you've one or two points in common... the whole L2DP is "as close as possible" to the L2 data.

Oh... and Kamaels (one winged characters) are quite unique to L2... and as such can be copyrighted as is...
poltomb
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by poltomb »

Vapulabe wrote:Well, the April fool was obvious from the start for several reasons
4) L2J is using several GPL'd parts NOT OWNED by L2J team which means that it has to stay GPL unless a big rewrite is done
Not true, read: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... AllowMoney
Vapulabe wrote:well, in order to do a licence change, you've to get the OK from all people who have code in the program... that's why some project ask that you give yours copyrights to them when you submit a patch.

About L1J, I think that the english code is hosted on Google... not sure anymore (I saw it long ago... tested and decided that I don't like it...)
No, you need to get the OK from any of the copyright holders. IIRC there used to be a thing in the rules that stated that any code posted in the forum (in part or as a whole) by an author of that code means that you are giving L2J the right to use the code. In essence, you are giving L2J a dual ownership of (or at the very least a license to use) that code. In that case, the code is owned by L2J. Since L2J is controlled by the dev team, the team has the right to change the license to whatever it chooses. The only issue we would have in wanting to change licenses is the 'viral' portion of the GPL license. That means that we would need to find different libraries (such as mysql-connector/J and Javolution) to use in their stead, or create our own.
NoX

Post by NoX »

On our servers we are often we feel "uncomfortable" when we see people who say that they will leave the server because it is a donate server...but many have done the same here. I believe that many people here have goods servers, where insurance is donated, and I think that should help with something here too.

When I could i will do it, cause I botter a lot :mrgreen:
lj2Black Hands : have something en mente + look around + copy +paste + try to improve it :S without knowlege -.-

ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

Well this is good enough to be the end of our joke.

Thank you everyone for the LULZ

tpb start plannings for next year prank...