[Forum] L2j Presents: Advanced Users

Read me first before posting anywhere!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
theone

Re: [Forum] L2j Presents: Advanced Users

Post by theone »

DrHouse wrote:6) *fork* takes some things from L2J/L2JFree/etc but also the private stuff coded by its developers. My question is, how couldnt it be more advanced and efficient than L2J?
Our own code that we commit on *fork* is the same code that we used to contribute on these forums or in private to the L2J devs but which was never getting committed.
nBd
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by nBd »

theone wrote:
nBd wrote:You are pointing that Lecter have to write "Hello my Masters" just to show hes still alive? He has to show nothing. The Team is active and showing things are on the correct way. That should show enough. He visits us not often and gives only comments to Stuff where we are unsure. And as you noticed, others are in hold of this Project now. Before Lecter went inactive, he gave other ppl enough power to go forward with L2J and thats what happening. You Guys want changed & more Public work, but still you dont want to share with the L2J Team. I kinda understand it, but before you start bitching at those that try, try yourself first.
We dont need you nor your work if you dont want to share it. The Team has enough Manpower todo the same themself, but we follow some guidelines & goals. Those were mentioned often already. As you saw, we nor one of the other L2J members took any of the Code leaked from your Project. We didnt do that because of Copyright or any other relation to it, but we did it since your implementations didnt follow the general Project guidelines.
Yah, i know you start same about me now, but who cares your opinion? I not. If you think we should miss you, go on, but we dont miss you.
As usual, you're missing the point completely nBd, but then what else is new...
I'm saying that a leader(and that's you included), if he/she wants his/her contributors to be active and better themselves has to be a motivator in the first place. It's not necessary to be a good coder to be the leader of a development project, but it's necessary to be a good communicator and motivator. The morale and motivation of the troops is crucial in any project/enterprise, and him(or you in that matter) showing up once in a while and saying a little 'hello guys and thanks to all those who contribute, we dont always commit your stuff for different reasons but keep at it I see alot of potential out there' is usually more than enough from a leader to keep the people motivated.
As many times before nBd, with this comment, you've really proven once more that you're everything but a leader. Being able to code great things only means one thing: you're a great coder... it doesnt mean that you have what it takes to lead people(or in this instance make pertinentt comments)
Beeing in background, doesnt mean youre not able to lead a project. I dont see me as any leader of this Project. I see myself as part of a Team. This Team has ppl that have more Powers, still decisions are done by all ppl. So, just because iam part of those that have more Powers, that i till now not even used, i need to say more ty to the Community as other Devs? I think our Team gives enough back to the community. Saying TY doesnt have to be written down, but can be given back by spending their freetime to improve & Commit their work to the public. I dont need to fight with you about that. You should notice that working Public is different to working closed source. Leading a closed source project where only you and your devs use the "Product" is kind of easy. Beeing part of a Team where MANY ppl use your Product lets you see the whole Point from a different aspect. As you are not part of it, you cannot give any constructive critic about how the L2JTeam handles it.

Posting Public and helping Team Intern makes for you the difference. If i would be uber Forums whore spaming all Threads would make me in your eyes the right "leader" for L2J? Kind of weird point of view you have there.

Anyways, out of that iam done with it. You nor any comment will change the way i see this.
<ZaKaX> Ohh nBd, you're so professianal with your analconda.
Bloodshed
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Bloodshed »

I get the feeling alot of people tend to forget along the way that this is a community, i assume when you join you do it for either to not show your face and leech everything you see that can be added to your server, or you want to be part of the community and contribute, assist, hang around and chat with people with the same interest. I joined for the last one, i didn't join cause i wanted a to run a server, i joined because i thought it was interesting how things were actually made after playing L2 for awhile and getting bored with the playing side. Turns out i liked it and wanted to learn it, and still i don't know half of it :P

When you contribute something that isn't fully retail like you shouldn't be surprised when it won't get added the the serverpack. Specially since when you joined L2J you would know how this projects want to be retail like. Personally i like the need to be close to retail, but somethings are just hard to get info about and i wouldn't mind lowering the retailness, but that isn't the initial goal of this project so i just have to live with it. If you made something you still learned things for it no doubt, and that is what i wanted from it.

Yet if i would run an own server i wouldn't mind adding them there, you get your own reward from what you made and players enjoying it, and choose to share it after you use it for awhile on your server if you want. No problem if you keep them to yourself, just dont let it stand in the way of not sharing things at all. Alot of people have things they know that are not retail like and so do i, i just keep them in my files until at a later stage i get info or confirmation so it will be good enough.

I think due to many server being high rate people don't fully appreciate the efforts people do to make things retail like, even if its getting an account on the retail servers and spending time and money to level up a character to get retail like info for the cummunity. That being said alot of people most likely have a shit load of things done that is good for their server but not for l2j and since it works for them, they won't bother with making things fully retail like anymore because it takes much time and move along to other things. This way ofcourse you get more done, and that is good for your own server.

Unfortunatly human nature and selfishness raises with some people that think they are better than others. (no this isn't towards anyone in particular in l2jforums)

Last but not least, being a part of this community and making a server for yourself and your players to enjoy should be FUN! Its not a competition. (if it was you would all lose because you are all going off track)

There is much more i could and would like to say but I HATE READING LONG POSTS so i won't do that.

*takes a deep breath
taking a break;
theone

Post by theone »

Bloodshed, you should know that I have always shared with the community.
All I said was for the betterment of this community, now wether you welcome or dismiss my comments it's your choice. I will not add anything more on this subject, I've said my peace and got some things off my chest. The ball is in your camp now to prove me wrong... and I honestly hope that you do. :)

@ nBd: you're still not getting the point, but lets just agree to disagree ;)
Bloodshed
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Bloodshed »

Where do you see me writing that you never shared?
I just stated some of my observations, it's not about you or anyone in particular. I'm not gonna individually address someone, private messages are for that.

( I actually liked your scripts to overlook how python works for example :P , custom or not)

Anyway it's time to prune this topic and go back to the original purpose of the topic imo.
taking a break;
nekys

Post by nekys »

I will try to be short:
Being near the community, even the "highest" ranks of any development team, believe me, gives great results. L2j is accused be some people (maybe most of them are what we call "noobs", but still they are people too) to be so "cold" against its community. Personally, when I was active tester on l2j, I felt really happy and passionate to test things House coded and testing is a serious part of development, when developers noticed me.

Leaders of any kind, should "lick" their developers a bit. This is the point to be leader, to motivate and guide your developers. Motivating community when you are open-source is a must too.

Personal attacks are totally off-topic and retarded.

Before making that group you want, you should change the way L2j team treats current community. As already told by theone, intentions are noble but I see it pointless to divide community even more.

About what House called for our project and being "so closed", I have to agree with him, but since we experienced many leaks (to l2jofficial mostly) without any credits to our project developers (no, we don't want credits to project but to its developers) we had to be more strict, maybe to a bad level. I hope this will change.
_DS_
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by _DS_ »

Just interesting, what was leaked, mostly to l2jofficial ? :?
Hellbound was "contributed" by their users.
Commiter of the shit
public static final int PI = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795;
theone

Post by theone »

_DS_ wrote:Just interesting, what was leaked, mostly to l2jofficial ? :?
Hellbound was "contributed" by their users.
I dont think he was pointing the finger to the devs of L2JOfficial. I was the first one to be angry when I noticed about Hellbound, but after calming down I realized that it was not their fault, but that someone in their community had leaked this code and they(L2JOfficial) used it because they thought it was contributed in good faith.
There are other things that were leaked and ended up on L2JO, but I believe that it's the same thing as far as how they got there. Charus would not have purposely put something on his SVN that was leaked from our project without first asking us, of this I'm certain.
Actually, the thing that got me(us) worked up about Hellbound itself is the fact that I had shared it only with L2J and I was hoping that it would first end up there, and then be ported to other forks. I made a point to only share it with L2J only so you guys could have it first... and it ended up everywhere else before...
Anyway, I think this clarifies a few things :mrgreen:
rocoder

Post by rocoder »

theone you think you have to explain yourself? :mrgreen: I do not think it is worth :!:
theone

Post by theone »

rocoder wrote:theone you think you have to explain yourself? :mrgreen: I do not think it is worth :!:
No, but I was quite harsh with the L2JOfficial guys(and I consider Charus a friend, so I was a bit remorseful) when that happened, so I wanted to make amends on this, and also to clarify what Nekys had said.
MELERIX
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by MELERIX »

wth ? guys... this is a fight about who have the p***** more big ? lol

seriously I see people here fighting like childs :roll:
BiggBoss
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by BiggBoss »

imho this thread should be closed many post ago, due offtopic theme (how many post w/o talk about advanced users?)
ThePhoenixBird
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by ThePhoenixBird »

--Closed
DrHouse
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by DrHouse »

ThePhoenixBird wrote:--Closed