We moved our repositories to BitBucket!

If you can't login or you can't register to the forums do not rise an issue, instead please write to support (at) l2jserver.com

Check our wiki!

Report server issues here

Forum has been updated to phpBB 3.2, let's see if this fixes some minor bugs we had.

Thank you for visiting http://www.l2jserver.com/

L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Post Reply
User avatar
Pandragon
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:38 pm

L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by Pandragon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Recently I started making an open source project on github and I was prohibited to select a license for it.
Before making any unthoughtful actions I started googling about licenses and what are the legal concerns involved.

If anyone wants to check it out I suggest the following sites.
https://choosealicense.com
https://www.softwarefreedom.org
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
https://opensource.org
https://www.blackducksoftware.com/top-o ... e-licenses

After researching I understood that I had some real problem.
On this new project I used the L2jServer Rnd class to generate random results.
According to GPL3 anyone who distributes your code or a derivative work to make the source available under the same terms.
So what if someone wanted to use my project to make some kind of proprietary software? GPL3 is all about being against proprietary software.
But in my mind that is not truly open source. I want my work to be used by companies even if they do not want to share their sources when releasing a product. Doing so would be absurd for them.

So the idea of using the L2jServer Rnd class was too risky to use and as a solution made a new class on my own.

At this point, in addition to the obvious flaw in truly free to use by anyone logic, I also found that there are loopholes in GPL3 to protect programmers. The more I read, GPL3 looked distasteful as a truly open source license and more of a copyleft considering license.
A truly open source license should let people do anything they want with your code as long as they provide attribution back to you and not be forced to share their work when making it public. Personally, I made my new project under the MIT license that does exactly that. I could elaborate more why I did not choose to use Apache, CC0 or any other license over MIT, but I try to keep this post short.

I do not blame L2jServer for using "the wrong" license, it is just that noone bothered to see what newer options are out there.
As far as I can tell, the newer, truly open source licenses, came much later than GPL after many legal acts and conserns.

Finally I merely propose that The Team of the project, as the legally accountable persons for such an action, should consider changing the license to MIT. It reflects (a) what L2jServer was hopefully intended to stand for and (b) the truly open source impression everyone takes for granted by getting involved with this project. Only a permissive license can reflect that, using a copyleft license like GPL3 may suggest opposite intentions.

User avatar
u3games
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:00 pm
Location: España
Contact:

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by u3games » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:03 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice, Thx for info ^^
Image

User avatar
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Spain

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by Sacrifice » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:22 am

My opinion is as Pandragon says, but it is also true that, as it is now, it is not bad either.

Inner circle must decide about that question... Simply...

User avatar
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle
Posts: 6861
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:36 am

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by Zoey76 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:01 am

The only way the community can survive is if everyone shares their contributions, by using GPLv3 we enforce that and discourage closed source distributions.
Using Eclipse Photon 4.8 - OpenJDK11 - MySQL 8.0.12 - L2J Server :+1:
Live support

sahar
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:40 pm
Contact:

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by sahar » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:54 pm

The only way the community can survive is if everyone shares their contributions, by using GPLv3 we enforce that and discourage closed source distributions.
What community are you talking about?

The only way the community can survive is if the community sees some signs of life from the administration / inner circle team, not because of some stupid license, as you can probably see in l2jserver's current state.

There were many contributors and contributions going on here back when I was active, they saw administration is sleeping and quitted (me included), its a fact.

User avatar
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle
Posts: 6861
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:36 am

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by Zoey76 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 am

sahar wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:54 pm
The only way the community can survive is if everyone shares their contributions, by using GPLv3 we enforce that and discourage closed source distributions.
What community are you talking about?

The only way the community can survive is if the community sees some signs of life from the administration / inner circle team, not because of some stupid license, as you can probably see in l2jserver's current state.

There were many contributors and contributions going on here back when I was active, they saw administration is sleeping and quitted (me included), its a fact.
What you say it's true as well, but one thing doesn't cancel the other.
Using Eclipse Photon 4.8 - OpenJDK11 - MySQL 8.0.12 - L2J Server :+1:
Live support

User avatar
Gladicek
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by Gladicek » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Zoey76 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 am
sahar wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:54 pm
The only way the community can survive is if everyone shares their contributions, by using GPLv3 we enforce that and discourage closed source distributions.
What community are you talking about?

The only way the community can survive is if the community sees some signs of life from the administration / inner circle team, not because of some stupid license, as you can probably see in l2jserver's current state.

There were many contributors and contributions going on here back when I was active, they saw administration is sleeping and quitted (me included), its a fact.
What you say it's true as well, but one thing doesn't cancel the other.
Yeah, but you should consider to do some clean up in inner circle and finally rebuild some basics in L2J community... that would give some users a new hope.
ImageImage
L2J retired

User avatar
regenx
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 am

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by regenx » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Make L2J Server Great Again !!

* With 4-5 or more contributors on every chronicle from Bitbucket projects..
** Only H5 is not enough. 50% of the players do not prefer H5
*** L2J is still the best! :+1:

"The only way the community can survive is if everyone shares their contributions, by using GPLv3 we enforce that and discourage closed source distributions." < TRUE and agree! For that we need to use forum again and bitbucket, not telegram, weird chats, Discord or private sections with passwords... etc. etc.

User avatar
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle
Posts: 6861
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:36 am

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by Zoey76 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 pm

Gladicek wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm
Zoey76 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 am
sahar wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:54 pm

What community are you talking about?

The only way the community can survive is if the community sees some signs of life from the administration / inner circle team, not because of some stupid license, as you can probably see in l2jserver's current state.

There were many contributors and contributions going on here back when I was active, they saw administration is sleeping and quitted (me included), its a fact.
What you say it's true as well, but one thing doesn't cancel the other.
Yeah, but you should consider to do some clean up in inner circle and finally rebuild some basics in L2J community... that would give some users a new hope.
That may be true too, but what some people don't know about Inner Circle is that we keep the lights on, even when none is around, we solve problems that you don't know they exist, and we will be here as long as we can.

About giving users new hope, I'm working on it :kappa:
Using Eclipse Photon 4.8 - OpenJDK11 - MySQL 8.0.12 - L2J Server :+1:
Live support

User avatar
regenx
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 am

Re: L2J Server GPL3 license. Truly open source?

Post by regenx » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:49 pm

"we solve problems that you don't know they exist, and we will be here as long as we can."
but only for H5?

Post Reply