NetPro: Packet Analysis and Visualization tool

Have you created a useful tool? or Do you want to get help building one? This is the right place!
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
SaveGame

NetPro: Packet Analysis and Visualization tool

Post by SaveGame »

Hello fellow developers,

NetPro has gone open source!

Screenshots:

Download link: http://netpro.revengineer.eu/1.7/l2emup ... 7-noecj.7z
JavaDoc: http://netpro.revengineer.eu/1.7/apidocs/ | http://netpro.revengineer.eu/1.7/l2emup ... avadoc.jar

Best regards,
SaveGame (MightyL2 / L2Faithless / VelceoL2)
Last edited by SaveGame on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 17 times in total.
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: NetPro: Packet Analysis and Visualization tool

Post by UnAfraid »

You know there is open source application that does the same thing and has pretty nice GUI and functionality its called Packet Samurai you can find it's source here https://github.com/l2jserver2/packetsamurai
SaveGame

Post by SaveGame »

There's no problem with adding custom functionality by adding java source files under /script (main issue - no guide).
There's no problem to define any protocol/packet that comes in the future.
Basically, everything you need to use/customize this application is externalized (given on a silver platter).

P.S. I still assume all people know about packetsamurai. Aion was released ages ago, and even in that fork you can see that last changes (related to l2) were done over 3 years ago. Use of one or other tool will always boil down to personal preference; I have made this tool available because to me it looks like all packet sniffers (hlapex, l2phx, packetsamurai, etc) have been abandoned and left to rot. Some competition is better than none, isn't it?

P.P.S. This application runs as a transparent proxy. It does not require winpcap/winjpcap.
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

SaveGame wrote:There's no problem with adding custom functionality by adding java source files under /script (main issue - no guide).
There's no problem to define any protocol/packet that comes in the future.
Basically, everything you need to use/customize this application is externalized (given on a silver platter).

P.S. I still assume all people know about packetsamurai. Aion was released ages ago, and even in that fork you can see that last changes (related to l2) were done over 3 years ago. Use of one or other tool will always boil down to personal preference; I have made this tool available because to me it looks like all packet sniffers (hlapex, l2phx, packetsamurai, etc) have been abandoned and left to rot. Some competition is better than none, isn't it?

P.P.S. This application runs as a transparent proxy. It does not require winpcap/winjpcap.
Packet Samurai was initially created for L2 by KenM and Wooden (Former L2J Devs) https://www.assembla.com/code/PacketSam ... sion/nodes and Aion guys picked it from here and just implemented the Aion protocol which is identical to Lineage one
Sdw
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Sdw »

The REAL question is : Can you reload the protocol data while sniffing, or loading a previous log :D
SaveGame

Post by SaveGame »

The tooltip is dated back to non-incremental loading, currently protocol definitions are reloaded as well (revision number, opcode table sizes and constant opcodes). This wording issue will be fixed in the next release:

Also, in case you want to change the packet display configuration of a specific (active) protocol immediately after loading adjusted/new packet definitions, you may do so from the relevant dialog:

@UnAfraid: Yes, thank you for further information (it does not contradict my statements).
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Looks very good, though I really can't stand the Java-style GUI. Not that it's your fault, obviously.

There is, however, the question of how long are you planning to support this application. If you're only making it in the hope that someone will use it, you will probably be disappointed since most users of such stuff never declare themselves, i.e. you will never know.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

I was going to make a public sniffer, I guess there is no need now :wink:
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

You can always share what you have.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
SaveGame

Post by SaveGame »

LoneRanger wrote:There is, however, the question of how long are you planning to support this application. If you're only making it in the hope that someone will use it, you will probably be disappointed since most users of such stuff never declare themselves, i.e. you will never know.
For a start, I am mainly asking for what features, based on the public opinion, would add the most value to this application. For example, you could say that manual packet injection (automated can be scripted) is very lacking, since you must use a single dialog, so alternating between packets requires you to cut/paste copy/paste, which is -_- (annoying). If there are no requests, I will continue at my own pace, so I will most probably write some guides, continue with old packet definition reviews (you may have noticed that almost all definition files are tagged with "auto generated" comments) to deal with the unbelievable mess caused due to the specifics of the old definition format (and no incremental loading).

Bear in mind that this application has been in development internally since Feb 2011 (if we include the time it was a part of L2JFree). Major overhauls were already executed when certain feature implementations didn't live up to expectations. So there you have it, over 3.5 years of on/off development hasn't killed this application off :)

In any case, I plan to maintain/support this application in the foreseeable future. The scope of this application is within limits where I can make these guarantees. In more concrete terms, another 3-5 years shouldn't be much of a problem. The codebase has already matured to a certain point; higher maturity = lower maintenance costs.
LoneRanger wrote:Looks very good, though I really can't stand the Java-style GUI. Not that it's your fault, obviously.
Well, currently the app forces Nimbus, mostly because I find that the backwards-compatible Metal is just too.. blocky? Round/Rounded components are associated with modern GUIs. However yes, that impedes your ability to select, for example, native L&F. I'll change the app to respect a manually set L&F, since that's the way it should work.

Technically, I have another application, which is skinned a lot better, but there are some inherent issues with Swing when it comes to font rendering and caret positioning. Some effects (like fractional metrics) will not be taken into account and the caret location is calculated deep deep inside JDK. Of course, I could add an agent to patch that method(s), like I did for the aforementioned app when Zip FS was/is broken in Java 7, but that is always a last-resort solution.
And I'd like to keep to standard Swing and/or JavaFX components. At least for now. So yeah, skinning is hardly an option for now. I will definitely take some time to look at Synth L&F feasibility, but those faulty methods will need patching. Let me first make a screenshot of what the UI would look like in that case...
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

LoneRanger wrote:You can always share what you have.
I haven't started, and I don't share unfinished work.