Hello, l2j. [interlude running on debian]

Find the proper support area, Saga-Version.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
iinsomn

Hello, l2j. [interlude running on debian]

Post by iinsomn »

L2J Revision 1434.
L2JDP Revision ${l2jdp.revision}: I know this is wrong.

Hello World of l2j, I've recently installed and configured an interlude server in a debian Box, been browsing through the wiki and documentation but it seems to be nearly non-existant. I'd like to help keep these project alive, so I'm starting this topic in an attempt to get closer to the community.

Cheers.
[I,insomn]
jurchiks

Re: Hello, l2j. [interlude running on debian]

Post by jurchiks »

Well, if you'd want to help improve the interlude branch you'd have to contribute something. It's pretty dead in this forum, so GL with that.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

jurchiks wrote:Well, if you'd want to help improve the interlude branch you'd have to contribute something. It's pretty dead in this forum, so GL with that.
I have done improvements in core, it has same MMOCore as High Five (although not all features are implemented yet)
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

That was pretty much an exception, you know... Nobody contributes anything for interlude and almost nobody asks anything about it aswell.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
iinsomn

Post by iinsomn »

Zoey76 wrote:
jurchiks wrote:Well, if you'd want to help improve the interlude branch you'd have to contribute something. It's pretty dead in this forum, so GL with that.
I have done improvements in core, it has same MMOCore as High Five (although not all features are implemented yet)
Thnx Zoey, I'm just starting with this, I've got the server up and running, the main problem I keep encountering is lack of documentation (I don't mean tutorials). Do you have any idea, what's missing in I've been thinking about moving to l2jfrozen, it seems to have a little more active community.

I'd really appreciate any advice on how to proceed.
[I,insomn]
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

I have contributed to L2JFrozen too, but is far from being an option for a retail like Interlude server, it has many customs and still have some bugs.

Another Interlude fork is aCis, but I think is not ready for a production server, and this community require more work in orther to get the sources, also it has only retail stuff, that means no TVT, or any other custom event.

If you choose to work with a fork, we won't be able to help you, since we don't provide support for forks (forks should do it :P), also in their forums since you will be the new one, try noit to spam them, read the fourms, is probably that any problem you can find someone else already had it and the solution is there.

Anyway if you stay with us, and report bugs and missing stuff we could commit fixes and stuff like that.
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.2.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

aCis is now closed-source. I'd recommend it too, but the last freely available non-stolen revision is 216.
If you get to be their client though, I'd suggest you go with it, their server is very good quality compared to other active IL ones.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

jurchiks wrote:aCis is now closed-source. I'd recommend it too, but the last freely available non-stolen revision is 216.
If you get to be their client though, I'd suggest you go with it, their server is very good quality compared to other active IL ones.
It's not clompletely closed source, visit their forums and you will see, you need to contribute (test, report bugs, submit dp scripts, etc) then you can access full sources.

jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Even better then.
Tryskell

Post by Tryskell »

jurchiks wrote:aCis is now closed-source. I'd recommend it too, but the last freely available non-stolen revision is 216.
I don't want to make my marketing (clearly not the good place), but just for infos :
  • latest free update was rev 214 (before Olympiads rework). When you're free to do whatever you want with it, I trully don't invite to use it (it's stable, but... Well you know if you read my timeline topic :D).
  • latest leaked source (indeed, even people you think friend can betray) is rev 242. Some LTs guys tried to share decompilated sources aswell from precompiled. Leaker have been dropped in the process, and ppl getting access to SVN drastically shorten (from 26 ppls to 11).
  • the pack is under "contribution2use" system ; you share enough, you get access. You continue to share, you keep it. It boosted shares, and I'm really happy of the result considering good ppls have joined since last November (time of that new model application) : Hasha (aka Rainbow Dash), Java-man, and all quest makers (endmost, mcmago, fernandopm, etc etc). We don't work for money, we work to give Interlude its last breath before complete annihilation, and I personally work to gather IL chronicle lovers around a single project.
For more infos about aCis, you got Google. aCis isn't closed source, you just need to be implicated in the community and help the pack becomes better. I got for example great expectation on ExtremeDwarf, which begin to report issues and test stuff.

L2JFrozen (based on Scoria) and aCis (based on latest L2JIL then refactored using postIL chronicles) offer 2 different visions of what a pack should be. Make your own opinion, profile users is TOTALLY different from one forum to another.

On a more general note, I proposed some months ago (to Zoey76 by PM) to take back the branch developement of L2J IL, but I'm not sure I will be able to do whatever I want, and so I prefer to keep my fork on my side.

I don't invite you to use regular L2J IL branch, whatever Zoey76 did, it's not enough. Read aCis timeline to see the "beast" work I made so far alone, then since November with a couple of sharers.

Sry for the wall of text, it's just me.

Bubububu :D
Last edited by Tryskell on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iinsomn

Post by iinsomn »

wow... I'd written a little wall of text myself but it appears to have banished into thin air. In it I thanked zoey and jurchiks for their advice, and how I was trying to test the different servers, and decide which one to contribute (based on how svn access, which l2jfrozen has, l2jserver appears to have dissappeared. And how i didn't bother to try aCis due to the lack of sources. Nevertheless given your answer, which I appreciate, I'll give it a try and see how to give a little back to each of the projects till I get comfortable with one of em.

Thank you all very much for your help.

I'll keep updating my journey from j2ee boring corporate sh*t to the world of cool interesting stuff and white rice dinners.

be seeing you around!
[I,insomn]
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

@Tryskell - in any case, you're doing a really good job and that's commendable.
Would be great if you could put it on the official l2j svn, but I kinda doubt it'll happen since you'd probably want total freedom with your code.
@iinsomn - well, it might seem like l2jfrozen would be the easier way, but there's a lot of crap on them on the interwebz, unlike aCis.
Tryskell

Post by Tryskell »

No problem, L2JFrozen is more traditional in the way of customs and commits in general. There is no good and bad choices, as I don't consider any of mentioned packs can be actually used for a LIVE server (aCis made choice to rework any quest to java, correcting L2J issues in same time (around 15 quests are broken), it's very long and it's made at 65% atm).

@jurchiks, ty for good words and you're totally right about "freedom" issue. I hate to have no control on a situation, following my own credo, "if you don't make it 100%, don't make it at all".
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

As far as I remember I asked you if you wanted to work with us, and you told me you would keep your work in your fork, not the other way around like your post states.
Zoey76 wrote:If you want me to commit something to Interlude branch let me know, I updated it a bit, but there are hundred of things to do, real fixes.

Have fun :P
PM to Tryskell , Nov 2011.