Upgrade Server Question

Support for the latest build of L2J Server, get help here with installations, upgrades, problems.
Do not post bugs reports here, use viewforum.php?f=77 instead.
There is no support for other server builds than the official provided by l2jserver.com
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Jcof88rt

Upgrade Server Question

Post by Jcof88rt »

Hello guys me again lol, just had a question about upgrading my server because I just learned how to add codes to my server in eclipse well at least I hope I did lol testing now, anyways I made changes to code in eclipse then ran the gradlew.bat to compile the changes, so it made a new .rar and if I copy everything from the folder over to my current server it will erase all my config setting and other stuff I made changes to, how can I prevent this or is there another way to do this so I don't overwrite everything, I did search for a topic but most of them were very old and came up with 507 results, I found this link http://www.l2jserver.com/wiki/index.php/Manual_Upgrade but it don't work. Thanks all sorry I keep bugging you :D
HorridoJoho
L2j Senior Developer
L2j Senior Developer

Re: Upgrade Server Question

Post by HorridoJoho »

There is currently no mechanism to keep your configs, all that has to be made manually.

When creating custom data, make sure you create new data files instead of modifying existing files. Examples are the data/stats/npcs and items folders etc. In the custom folder, don't edit the custom.xml, but create a .xml with any name for your project. That way your data won't be overwritten when you unpack the server and datapack again over the files. This is the same for htmls and other data files. After all you need to avoid to modify the original files shipped with l2j to be able to easily update your server by unpacking a new version over your old files.

For config files it is a little more complicated:
  1. Backup your config files
  2. Unpack the new zipped version over your old files
  3. Use a tool like WinMerge to compare your backed up configs with the new configs overwritten in game/config/ and login/config
This is required because new config files could contain new config values which were not present in your old backed up configs. If you changed nothing or there are no new config values in the new configs, you can safely overwrite a file with your old backed up file.
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Upgrade Server Question

Post by Sacrifice »

:clap: :clap: until I understood it... :lol: