Hosting/Server configuration/OS

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
kornom

Hosting/Server configuration/OS

Post by kornom »

Hello friends.
I am planning to host my server.
The question is, what OS is better? What control panel should I pick?

CentOS 6.4 minimal
Debian 7.0 LAMP - only 64 bit
Debian 7.0 minimal
openSUSE 12.3 minimal
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS minimal
Ubuntu 13.10 minimal - only 64 bit
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Edition
Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition

Operating systems with pre-installed control panel
CentOS 6.4 + cPanel - only 64 bit

THis is the root servers configuration:

Intel® Core™ i7-920
Quadcore
incl. Hyper-Threading Technology
RAM: 48 GB DDR3 RAM
Hard Drive: 2 x 2 TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 rpm
HDD (Software-RAID 1)
Connection; 1 Gbit/s-Port
Guaranteed Bandwidth: 200 Mbit/s
Backup Space: 100 GBInclusive
Traffic: 20 TB*
CentOS 6.4 + Plesk - only 64 bit / Debian 7.0 + Plesk - only 64 bit / Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Edition + Plesk - only 64 bit / Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition + Plesk - only 64 bit

Im debating about OS and a control panel for it, will I need control panel at all? How do you install all the software you need on the remote server? Something like RAdmin is possible?
Im sorry for all the stupid questions, never hosted on a dedicated before.
Last edited by kornom on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konstantinos

Re: Hosting/Server configuration/OS

Post by Konstantinos »

ubuntu server x64 is fine
kornom

Post by kornom »

So Ubuntu 13.10 minimal (English, 64 bit) is good ?

Is that going to be a b*tch to install a server on Ubuntu?
Konstantinos

Post by Konstantinos »

y its fine but it is hard if you dont know.

you need guide.
kornom

Post by kornom »

Never worked with Ubuntu, mayve windows server 2012 will work too? I mean with those server specs OS shouldn't matter that much (I think)
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

you can get ubuntu and install a desktop enviroment (example: xubuntu) and do remote desktop with tightvnc. Thats what i do atm.
kornom

Post by kornom »

As I said I never hosted on dedicated before so another stupid question:

As I rent the server, how do I install the VNC there?
Hyrelius

Post by Hyrelius »

If you never dealt with *nix before or participated in intense commandline action (preferably on *nix, but if you know Powershell and/or Batch, it might work), you'd be better off using Windows Server 2012 Standard (that's what I am using at home, but of course the server is rather average and it's just for my personal development environment).

If you don't mind having to deal with the terminal as well as SSH and also do want to spend some more time getting used to it, ubuntu or any real *nix system will be great. Also - if I am not wrong - the system overhead on *nix systems is smaller - hence you have more performance for the server (or any other thing you do on it).

I help administrate a Linux (Debian Squeeze) system sometimes - it's not really hard if you follow guides and have some understand in how bash or command-line stuff in general works.

You could also install some sort of graphical environment and use VNC, but then again if you want that, you might just go for Windows instead.

P.s.: it's not kind to tell me people not to ask stupid questions if they actually take their time and share their experience with you, who might - in their eyes - ask stupid questions, too :/. Is it really necessary to comment on that? Can't just overlook it and be happy, that someone actually at least tries to help you? :/

P.s. 2: you don't need a control panel if you use that server for just the gameserver. You'd probably SSH into the server anyway (you might use sFTP or some other sort of ease for uploading files and perhaps SVN server and a few other things in order to ease the build process, because otherwise updating + adding your modifications will be all manual and hence pain in the ass).
I don't mind helping - however: I only do so if I want to.
No support for other server packs than L2J.
kornom

Post by kornom »

Hyrelius wrote:If you never dealt with *nix before or participated in intense commandline action (preferably on *nix, but if you know Powershell and/or Batch, it might work), you'd be better off using Windows Server 2012 Standard (that's what I am using at home, but of course the server is rather average and it's just for my personal development environment).

If you don't mind having to deal with the terminal as well as SSH and also do want to spend some more time getting used to it, ubuntu or any real *nix system will be great. Also - if I am not wrong - the system overhead on *nix systems is smaller - hence you have more performance for the server (or any other thing you do on it).

I help administrate a Linux (Debian Squeeze) system sometimes - it's not really hard if you follow guides and have some understand in how bash or command-line stuff in general works.

You could also install some sort of graphical environment and use VNC, but then again if you want that, you might just go for Windows instead.

P.s.: it's not kind to tell me people not to ask stupid questions if they actually take their time and share their experience with you, who might - in their eyes - ask stupid questions, too :/. Is it really necessary to comment on that? Can't just overlook it and be happy, that someone actually at least tries to help you? :/

P.s. 2: you don't need a control panel if you use that server for just the gameserver. You'd probably SSH into the server anyway (you might use sFTP or some other sort of ease for uploading files and perhaps SVN server and a few other things in order to ease the build process, because otherwise updating + adding your modifications will be all manual and hence pain in the ass).
Thank you dude, that was the reply I was looking for!
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

kornom wrote:
Hyrelius wrote:If you never dealt with *nix before or participated in intense commandline action (preferably on *nix, but if you know Powershell and/or Batch, it might work), you'd be better off using Windows Server 2012 Standard (that's what I am using at home, but of course the server is rather average and it's just for my personal development environment).

Thank you dude, that was the reply I was looking for!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27481&p=167015&hili ... tu#p162811