Future Updates?

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Re: Future Updates?

Post by Zoey76 »

I don't think we are so far behind, yes we lack many features, and reworks resulted in some bugs, but there is less to do everyday and after we finish this reworks, we will focus on missing features mostly.
Powered by Eclipse 4.30 ๐ŸŒŒ | Eclipse Temurin 21 โ˜• | MariaDB 11.3.2 ๐Ÿ—ƒ๏ธ | L2J Server 2.6.3.0 - High Five ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿ”— Join our Discord! ๐ŸŽฎ๐Ÿ’ฌ
corbin12

Post by corbin12 »

If you start developing next chronicles, why don't you start from Tauti? Nobody uses or asks for GoD or GoD Harmony.
"Playing Lineage II is not a privilege, but a right."
Hyrelius

Post by Hyrelius »

What use is there to have Freya-features and then no GoD, GoD Harmony etc. features, but GoD Tauti features instead? Especially if people switch over to new client and find out that half a dozen features don't work and - if L2J follows your suggestion - will never work unless the staff develops them on their own, they might be upset about it.
Imo I think L2J goes the right way: rework, fixing rework bugs, developing missing features, possibly going to next chronicle and doing the same there, too. To me this sounds like a good plan.
I don't mind helping - however: I only do so if I want to.
No support for other server packs than L2J.
leanndr

Post by leanndr »

Don't upgrade to goddess of destruction of lineage :X
"Arrogance diminishes wisdom" / "Arrogรขncia diminui a sabedoria"
Cresceus

Post by Cresceus »

leanndr wrote:Don't upgrade to goddess of destruction of lineage :X
It's up to you whether you upgrade to GoD (or any other update after H5, GoD, Lindvior or whatever) or not.
gmexid

Post by gmexid »

Zoey76 wrote:Nah, we will continue to rework stuff that is working until nothing works :twisted:
People fail to realize that moving to GOD is not in the best interest of the private server community, and that H5 completion is the most viable solution for L2J, having a complete H5 server should be the goal.
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by JMD »

and by the time h5 is complete nobody will care to play it... :mrgreen:
xban1x
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by xban1x »

JMD wrote:and by the time h5 is complete nobody will care to play it... :mrgreen:
But after H5 is completed, core will be cleaned, Jython will be gone, which means all future progress will be a lot faster ;)
Cresceus

Post by Cresceus »

xban1x wrote:
JMD wrote:and by the time h5 is complete nobody will care to play it... :mrgreen:
But after H5 is completed, core will be cleaned, Jython will be gone, which means all future progress will be a lot faster ;)
And come on guys... You cannot say that for now the l2j developers are not working fast.
In the past 4 weeks they got multiple ai's reworked and finished. Hundreds of bugs were fixed, many core reworks were done.

Yes for now we are for about two years behind the official chronicle but there is an important reason for this. And the l2j team has not stopped developing and going forward to the new chronicles.

So I think let's stay tuned and encourage the team to continue this great project.
Gries

Post by Gries »

I guess than whenever the update is going to be made this thread will be usefull
http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=242206
There should be one in EU official as well.
afk5min

Post by afk5min »

gmexid wrote:
Zoey76 wrote:Nah, we will continue to rework stuff that is working until nothing works :twisted:
People fail to realize that moving to GOD is not in the best interest of the private server community, and that H5 completion is the most viable solution for L2J, having a complete H5 server should be the goal.
This brings me the memories...
Instead of moving to [new episode name], like l2jserver, where people never do any actual work aside from making the newest client work with their C1-esque server, we decided to stick with [some either favorable (think IL, then HF, then GF (in that order), or quickly losing interest previous episode name], because we feel that [doesn't matter what reasoning is put here].
L2J is dead since l2jserver decided to follow the same strategy those forks used, as they specified sticking to a specific episode as the primary reason of forking.

And don't get me started on russian l2j packs. Those don't even attempt to emulate retail behavior. They provide an alternate-reality l2 gameplay, which is further reinforced by loads of customs in RUOFF servers (primarily lineage2.ru, NCZ0ft licensed, lineage2.eu to a lesser extent), not found in ANY other regional L2 servers. Oh, and did I mention gtranslated NPC chats?
Compute sequentially, true or false?

Code: Select all

p :- p.p.ย ?- p.
Hyrelius

Post by Hyrelius »

@"afk5min" - you're not being respectful to the work, that is being done. Would you want for people to say your project or w/e it is that you are doing, is dead, even though you are still working on it - just not progressing as fast as everyone else wants you to? I don't think so.

Besides: L2J is not dead. If anything - L2 is dead, but then again there are hundreds of players to prove me wrong. If you think it's dead - why not just go somewhere else where something is not dead? You still come here and spend your time reading and writing posts. And guess what: there are quite a few people, who help each other and do some work.

As someone who helps around a server I am more of a developer.. I don't really care how many players there are, because I'm not gaining anything if there are more players. I do it, because I like to and because I feel like it - not because I have some of players crying for features and fixes. If the players benefit from what I do - it's great. But first and foremost I must feel like I've done something - it's my hobby after all.

I know there are people, who care more about players. But everyone is free to learn java and whatever else is needed and start coding. It's not like you've to be born to code .. ^^.
I don't mind helping - however: I only do so if I want to.
No support for other server packs than L2J.
afk5min

Post by afk5min »

Hyrelius wrote:Would you want for people to say your project or w/e it is that you are doing, is dead, even though you are still working on it - just not progressing as fast as everyone else wants you to?
It doesn't matter. Yes, this usually creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, but then again, perhaps people saying so want that to happen in the first place?
Naturally, I am referring to projects I have been part of, incl. old l2jserver.
You still come here and spend your time reading and writing posts.
I wanted to make a point here, but then figured out that without elevated access there's no real way to prove it. So you'll have to trust me on this one. I don't "come here and read posts". Interested parties give me direct links to topics, which they think I should know about. Because I still have some nostalgia about L2 and L2J.
If anything - L2 is dead
Not in Korea, where they actually have proper gameplay and a normal game client (VS mutilated TW, NA, RU, EU clients, with pretty much all features removed. You name a feature - it simply isn't there).
Not in Russia, where custom gameplay manages to attract people who have a higher preference to Korean style (grindfest) gameplay than us in US and EU.
In NA, L2 was dead long before today. Even in HF, L2 was already dead. Diehard fans will spend their time on it, sure, but not even diehard fans managed to prevent L1 from finally getting a proper burial.
As someone who helps around a server I am more of a developer.. But first and foremost I must feel like I've done something - it's my hobby after all.
I am glad to hear you are having fun with L2J. After all, that's what matters. Personally, I don't like to "own" a server (and haven't for several years now), because f2p players, and especially those who play on unofficial servers, don't know what they want themselves. They want retail features, but they are immediately deserted if you give those to them. Player's despise/are very unhappy about grinding, but give them grindless gameplay (something session-based, like Dark Messiah, or perhaps even more like CS/TF/Event server) and they will be most displeased.

I still stand by my experience that refusing to catch up with latest L2 episodes is a strong step towards disbanding the project. It isn't enough, of course, but actions like these never have good consequences.
Compute sequentially, true or false?

Code: Select all

p :- p.p.ย ?- p.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

The project won't be disbanded because we don't "catch up" with later game versions.

We decided to make most reworks on our High Five server version, that way later version will need only new features, and we won't be dragging around ancient code.

I don't expect anyone to understand this, even among the team there are some that would like to see newer server versions, and we are working on that, it's just the way we decided to do it, it's not based on forks or anything, just own experience.