Why not make L2J better?

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
xban1x
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Re: Why not make L2J better?

Post by xban1x »

Me and zatei are currently working on providing a small test server hopefully that will give us possibility of better and more in-depth testing of things resulting in less bugs, that is of course if we will find people to test beside us.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

If Zoey makes a topic asking for people to apply as testers, I'm sure you'll find some.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
Tryskell

Post by Tryskell »

@pandragon : It's wrong saying people who currently dev on L2J don't try their best, the code has been improved by a lot, on many aspects.

The fact L2J stucked to hi5 is also the result of the past regarding coding style. When I read L2J IL code, sometimes I eyeroll from pleasure (yup I'm masochist). You can't move on without improving what already exists, else you end with a big trash.

I personally dedicated my time to a deprecated chronicle, but it doesn't mean I can't help when i can and I know the issue is (still) shared between my own pack and L2J.

Some points to improve current system :
  • bring back alive / democraticize the bug tracker (is it private now ? I don't find any link via google).
  • put more things in public section (see next point).
  • create a system of workbench, where tasks are allocated to ppl (individual or a group).
  • give a proper destination, like : now we handle skills issues, now sieges issues, now... Fix what you can, TODO / workbench what you can't, then go on another point.
  • after a big rework, wait some times before another big rework to avoid accumulation of issues, and commit little fixes meanwhile.
  • create a public server where latest revision runs, where anyone can test (if you manage to find someone who can admin it).
  • bigger delay between each revision in order to properly test (notably on big reworks).
Those are just suggestions, you don't have to use them all (I personally given up the public server due to lack of time).

Finally, stop to fight each other because it's sterile and doesn't make the thing moves (additionally, I nominate myself for Nobel Price of Peace).

About Trac bug tracker, if you don't use it anymore (from memories you were flooded by spams), you can eventually use Producteev. I personally begun to use it.
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Some points to improve current system :
Those are all good points, but, unfortunately, most, if not all, just won't work with the current team simply because they don't work like that - not their mindset. In the current team, everything starts privately and only if you're lucky something gets out before it goes into SVN. I'm not talking about the quest scripts and other stuff contributed by adv users, we don't have SVN access anyway.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Tryskell

Post by Tryskell »

Someone (anyone) can busy about administrate and keep alive a public Bug Tracker. It's only up to ppl to make the first move. France would still be a monarchy if people wouldn't act. I don't ask to cut heads... But to make the king changes of opinion before peasants make a rebellion. :lol:

A lot of my ideas are basically already handled for Advanced Users (allocated tasks notably), but you should really drop the forum format for those systems and re-think about a public Bug Tracker (I won't rename the one I use, it said higher). You got a better visualization of what must be done when all is correctly categorized.

Edit : I see 4 pages in Users Contribution. It's perhaps time to commit or drop stuff. It clearly doesn't help for people who wants to share to see their shares dying in that section. Either commit or drop it, but do something.

"With great powers, come great responsibilities."

KING, I SUMMON YOU!
Battlecruiser
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by Battlecruiser »

jurchiks: I suggest to move to git, which solves a lot of issues by simplifying the management of repo
Git user
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Well, we have been discussing using open-source repo hosts incl. github for this, Zoey and a few others say "no" to that. For some reason, the inner circle wants to keep the repo hosting to themselves, or smth like that.
But even so, knowing how long it takes to get in contact with nBd, not even talking about convincing him (and any other team members that oppose it) to switch to GIT...
It'd be easier to start yet another fork.