Why not make L2J better?

This is not a Support area! Discuss about the Server here. Non-Server related discussion goes in Off-Topic Discussion.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
Pandragon

Why not make L2J better?

Post by Pandragon »

First of all I want you to know that I love your work,
I use your files/fixes all the time and I am greatful that you share.

Recently I oppened a server based on L2J,
I have about 500 online, but many people start quiting.

Some current reasons for players quiting are the following:
Siege Golem - Damage to Castle walls
Kamael Traps - Activation does not work/proc
Herb icon stucks with buff icon - Visual bug
Cannot exit Dimensional Rift

Also many skills need rework, I wait for Zoey76 to make skills work again for months now.
But he doesn't seem that active and wonder if his skill/effect rework will ever finish.

I understand your point on making something only retail like,
because if you provide a tempfix will make you ignore the problem and move to the next thing to fix,
making that problem never be fixed as it should.
But that could make a server cripple for months and make all players quit until you make it retail.

I know you try to do the retail things/solutions, but it seems that you do not have the people to it efficiently.
People with much less potential than L2J have done things that you have not been able to accomplish since Freya came out.

Why don't you provide/accept tempfixes for problems and a create a TODO list for what is already hotfixed,
in depth of time you could make it work 100% retail like. Why you refuse to make L2J better?
JMD
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Why not make L2J better?

Post by JMD »

Use Stable :twisted:

Although i agree on the part you are trying to say that they must focus on making the basics working properly and work on the new stuff or improvements on the side on BETA, that could make it usable for live servers and give the chance for faster testing on new features. Right now the way things are you cant use BETA for live servers and its only so much you can report by playing withyourself on a test server.

For instance here is what happened to me last spring. I started working on my new server using BETA. It was the time i did a lot of bug reports and helped get a lot of stuff fixed, however my server failed because of bugs and other related stuff. This was the reason i am now using stable and i have stopped reporting bugs for BETA.

Even though the idea of having a BETA and STABLE branch is good, on second thought is kind of counterproductive for the reasons i gave above.

:wink:
jurchiks

Post by jurchiks »

Fact is, everybody wants to make the code better, not so much make the missing features, because the former one is simply easier to do. Arguably, all the skill stuff could have waited because there were only a few things that didn't work as they should, while now, after all the "fixes", too many things don't work like they should (or even did before the "fixing"), and the next update might also not be a magic cure-all, just like all the previous fixes promised to be.

I had suggested before to get the L2J team to officially ask for people to apply as testers, who then would simply test the required stuff either on their own test servers or, better, on a common private test server for L2J use only. For whatever reason, somebody didn't like it, my guess is because the L2J devs like to be so secretive about their work.
If you have problems, FIRST TRY SOLVING THEM YOURSELF, and if you get errors, TRY TO ANALYZE THEM, and ONLY if you can't help it, THEN ask here.
Otherwise you will never learn anything if all you do is copy-paste!
Discussion breeds innovation.
UnAfraid
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by UnAfraid »

Beta branch is suitable for live server only if the owner/developer knows l2j and java well enough to temp fix all problems until they get properly fixed by us.

Stable branch is considered to be stable for a live server use it until we get beta stable enough to replace previous stable rev.

For the problem with teleports i provided u with a location of the problem just remove the lines i showed and it will no longer does problems for u.
xban1x
L2j Veteran
L2j Veteran

Post by xban1x »

We focus on fixing existing code issues problems. If you wish i can provide a patch in which i will show you over 50+ wrong usages of one method. Where arguments passed to it are ints from an object instead of the object or ints wrapped into objects for unknown reason. Fixing one of this more well used methods can take ages and can eeasily lead to fixing 100+ errors. Sad thing is that anything you wish to fix properly later leads to big changes. We are trying to do this now so later when we start implementing features that will be easier.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

pandragon wrote: Also many skills need rework, I wait for Zoey76 to make skills work again for months now.
But he doesn't seem that active and wonder if his skill/effect rework will ever finish.
LOL, I have done a rework of thousand of lines of new code, just to get home and read this, I work every day for L2j countless hours, the amount of crappy code I have removed couldn't be really factorized.

Instead of writing such threads, people should start learning coding in order to have a server, myself with all the knowledge and experience do not own a server, I couldn't imagine how others could do.

For your information the rework is almost finished and it's a complete rewrite of the effect and skill system, which was required due L2j was "working" but really far from retail.

About that herb stucking icon bug, with less than 10 lines of code could be fixed, I hope a server owner can manage such little thing.

I don't think any of the current core or soon-to-be core developers like adding temp-fixes to the SVN, they are shared in forums (sometimes by developers) and you can use them if you want.