Develop MMO Using L2j as Backend

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
DarxEagle

Develop MMO Using L2j as Backend

Post by DarxEagle »

Hello everyone!
I am a Unity3d developer, and thinking about creating MMORPG for fun/profit.
I'm doing research of available backend solutions for MMO games, mostly TCP based. Most of solutions available aren't good enough, or too heavy-weight. I know i would like to use point-and-click system, mostly making replica of L2 packet system, because i spent much time sniffing packets and cheating L2, so i have an idea how this system works.
And, here is an idea: could i use an L2j as backend, and develop a client using its packet system. I think it is possible since L2walker is basically a custom L2 client too. What do you think about it? How legal would it be? What would you start with?
LasTravel

Re: Develop MMO Using L2j as Backend

Post by LasTravel »

If Unity can handle it, why not? L2JServer is a good base, not just for a L2Server but for any gameserver.
colonelcorn

Post by colonelcorn »

I'm also interested in what options are out there for custom clients utilizing L2J for the backend. L2J is independent from Lineage 2, and is completely unique from it's server infrastructure. So we should be able to develop a client-side that used L2J completely legally provided the custom client did not use any of Lineage 2's assets.

I saw there used to be a section in this forum about developing a custom client, but it looks like it got dropped. :cry:

Like alot of people, I've always wanted to make an MMO and Lineage 2 as it functions is very similar to how I'd like mine to operate. I figure using L2J could be a good way to save alot of the work for indie devs, but i'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to MMO Game Dev.
Zoey76
L2j Inner Circle
L2j Inner Circle

Post by Zoey76 »

By design L2J Server is tightly coupled to Lineage II, since it begun as an emulator.

I'd like to see it used as a backed for other MMOs and we could work on this if you bring ideas.