Help to a newborn noob.

If something doesn't fit in any other forum then post it here.
Forum rules
READ NOW: L2j Forums Rules of Conduct
beemasport

Help to a newborn noob.

Post by beemasport »

Greeting guys,
I want to host a H5 server these days, which will be tested by people from a facebook group.
I can't be selective atm and i don't know these people in real life.
I have only basic knowledge of how servers work so can someone help me with few questions.
I am giving my IP address so people can connect to the server :wtf: but that means they can connect to my wireless router as well right?
Even if i am password protected, that doesn't save me for being hacked if someone wants to right?
What are my options to protect my home group computers?
From what i've googled my options are:
- Talk to my net provider for second real ip address and use a switch extension 1 for server and 1 for router ( cuz my cable is under my parquet );
- Your recommendation here please.

The server isn't intended to go live or anything big soon.

Best regards,
Martin
L2J Test server is available PM for join requests.

Test machine hardware dedicated:
HP DC7800 :problem:
CPU: Intel Core2Quad q6600 stock 2.40ghz :problem:
RAM: 4x1GB DDR2 800mhz :problem:
HDD: 160 GB Sata 2 7200rpm :problem:
Elitek

Re: Help to a newborn noob.

Post by Elitek »

My recommendation for you is not to host your own H5-Server or H5-Testserver. Maybe start as a Support/Event-GM of
a running H5-Project. There you can learn a lot from other GMs or technical admins and improve your knowledge. :wink:

Why? You don't even have basic network/computer knowledge. And in case you find bugs, who should fix it?
Do you plan to open a thread for every bug or modification you need? I can tell you, that you are many many years away
from a point where you can think about running a public server. There are so many things you need to consider. :think:

To answer your question: If you just forward the login and game port then you're pretty safe. :wink:
But if you have a dynamic IP you are gonna run into another bunch of problems. :silent:
beemasport

Post by beemasport »

Ok i googled a bit more so i disabled Remote Management on my router so i think this solves half of my problem. :problem:
In terms of what you said the answer is no. I wont ask for help every time i find a bug. :wtf:
Thanks m8.

Best regards,
Martin

Avanael92
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Avanael92 »

I think you're being too much paranoid :kappa:

Disabling Remote Management is a good step anyway even though I don't think anyone of your people would try that except if there's really a person with having bad intentions and knowledge about networking.

Anyway, just google about L2J Port Forwarding, there are plenty guides out there how to do it. There's nothing to worry about, you're pretty safe. The only problem you'll have without Dynamic IP is, that your public IP resets every 24 hours, so your people will always need the new one in order to connect to your server. Even with Dynamic IP, the login- and gameserver will still stay on the old IP adress after the reset, so you need to restart them in order to aquire the new public IP.

Yeah that's a mess and what Elitek was saying with a "bunch of problems" ;p
HorridoJoho
L2j Senior Developer
L2j Senior Developer

Post by HorridoJoho »

I would like to give my two cents about knowledge and trying out stuff.

When i first started taking a look at l2j i had no knowledge about networking and other nessesary stuff myself. I was really just a player which wanted to know the backgrounds, how the game works behind the scenes. I did not understand alot of things, so i could not configure the server myself. But i was not giving up. Ofc i also asked questions, even basic ones, here in the forums, and that is also what this forum is for. There were times when people communicated more in the forums and i miss this time. Just don't expect finished solutions, some people will just point you in the right direction and you will have to sort out the details. That also makes you learn and not copy & paste solutions.

When you go on your own, you have to learn about all the nessesary stuff to get something running. If you want to make a testserver publicly available you should test and learn alot before doing so. As mentioned by others, you could join a server project to get familar with l2j itself and slowly get to the technical side of the server. When you want to try it on your own anyway here are some quick points you need to learn about:
  • Basics (get it running offline)
    • MySql Database - you only need to learn how to install it, run it and remember the root password
    • Get HeidiSql - we need that later to make our new character a gm character.
    • LoginServer configuration ./login/config/ - change mysql configs in LoginServer.properties
    • Register gameserver - start registerGameserver in the ./login/ folder, when finished copy the generated hexid.txt into the ./game/config/ folder
    • GameServer configuration ./game/config/ - change mysql configs in Server.properties
    • Install Database - start both database installers from ./tools/ folder, just enter your root password when you installed mysql
    • Start LoginServer - Run LoginServer.bat or LoginServer_loop.sh on linux.
    • Start GameServer - Run GameServer.bat or GameServer_loop.sh on linux.
    • Create account and character - The default LoginServer behavior is to create an account automatically when the account name you try to login with does not exist, just login to your LoginServer and create a character afterwards, then logout again
    • Give the character administrative privileges - start HeidiSql and connect to your database, go to the database l2jgs and open the characters table. Open the Data tab and search for the column accessLevel. Change it to 7 for your character.
  • Access Levels (you need to tailor this to your needs when you plan to have GMs)
    • Learn about how access levels work on the server. There are xml configs in the gameserver for access levels. An AccessLevel is really a UserGroup. It is still named access level because in the early days there were no user groups and the higher the access level number was, the more privileges you had. But now it really is a user group. Each access level can have a parent access level it inherits privileges from. There are 7 access levels predefined, 1 - 7 and 0 is for users which is also defined, an access level of -1 means the character is banned. There is one more special access level, it is the master access level which has no restrictions at all, it can do everything. The number for the master access level is specified in the game server configs and can be changed if needed. Currently the default is 8 for the master access level.
    • Learn about admin commands. There are xml configs in the gameserver for admin commands. For each admin command there is a an access level specified. This specified access level and all access levels having that access level in their parent tree can use that command.
  • External access
    • Forward ports 2106(LoginServer) and 7777(GameServer) to your local network address. This will enable people to connect to the Login- and GameServer.
    • When you have a dynamic ip, you can use a service like dyndns or no-ip. There you can choose your server address name. Many routers support updating your ip, so you don't even need to run the software they provide to update your ip for the server address name. When you router can not do this, you have to run that software. Now you need to tell ppl to create a shortcut to l2.exe and start it with the parameter -ip=<serveraddress>
beemasport

Post by beemasport »

Thanks alot guys.
OK first steps - done !
My IP is real (static) so I will have no problem with that.
I have a dedicate PC that can handle 200-300 connections with geodata. From what I"ve read on the forum. About the ports and stuff this is easy job. Since this is on budged I will test some of it's features, like anti ping and it's weak anti DoS. I've checked all the configurations of the login and nameserver properties and I have to say I am very impressed. It's not like old days of interlude, when there was like 3 options to configure you server. Well done L2J team. This guys work for free and do wonders. About the ports 2106 and 7777 there is an option to change them, but does that mean, I will need to touch the game files itself? Maybe for little precaution about small dos stacks? I am maybe a little to paranoid but I'm ve seen alot of ddos software for l2j servers...

Menoh

Post by Menoh »

Thank you HorridoJoho, your comment will also probably help me a bit.
HorridoJoho
L2j Senior Developer
L2j Senior Developer

Post by HorridoJoho »

beemasport wrote:About the ports 2106 and 7777 there is an option to change them, but does that mean, I will need to touch the game files itself?
Yes, ports for players are configurable, however the LoginServer port 2106 can not be changed without client modding which is not allowed here(the port is hardcoded in the client, means it is not configurable on the client side). The GameServer port can be any you like, because when the LoginServer sends the GameServer list to the client, it also includes the ip and port in that list.
beemasport wrote:Maybe for little precaution about small dos stacks? I am maybe a little to paranoid but I'm ve seen alot of ddos software for l2j servers...
There are some services out there which are suposed to protect you from DDoS, you can't get a homebrew solution for a DDoS protection. I don't know how thoose services work but a guess is that they act like a proxy between your server and incomming traffic. They could detect DDoS traffic and only send the legit traffic to your server. The more bandwith available, the better the protection against bigger attacks.

Traffic could be balanced over multiple servers. Then you would need multiple servers on their own internet connection which redirect the legit traffic, and in case of the L2 client you would have to rely on DNS round-robin(DNS server has multiple IP addresses for your domain and responds with the list of IP addresses in different sort order each time it is requested). The servers ip address on which the login and gameserver runs is not in the DNS entry and only internally used to forward the traffic from the public available servers to the servers which actually run the game and login server.

However what i wrote above is only theoretical hypthesis without deep logic about that topic.
Menoh wrote:Thank you HorridoJoho, your comment will also probably help me a bit.
Good to hear that. It's always great to help. :)
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

@HorridoJoho... :+1:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo!... :clap: :clap:
Sacrifice
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Sacrifice »

My new server will pass throught Cloudflare totally. I don't know when I finished, but yes...
ASI828277

Post by ASI828277 »

beemasport wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:45 pm Greeting guys,
I want to host a H5 server these days, which will be tested by people from a facebook group.
I can't be selective atm and i don't know these people in real life.
I have only basic knowledge of how servers work so can someone help me with few questions.
I am giving my IP address so people can connect to the server :wtf: but that means they can connect to my wireless router as well right?
Even if i am password protected, that doesn't save me for being hacked if someone wants to right?
What are my options to protect my home group computers?
From what i've googled my options are:
- Talk to my net provider for second real ip address and use a switch extension 1 for server and 1 for router ( cuz my cable is under my parquet );
- Your recommendation here please.

The server isn't intended to go live or anything big soon.

Best regards,
Martin
Good